The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Been on the Dyno - Uh Oh

JamesArup

Went on the dynos today to get everything checked out.

Basically, they wouldn't do a full power run because there was some nasty detonation going on in there and obviously they didn't want to damage anything!! I could hear the rattling too when it was around 5.5-6k revs. Basically the car is all setup for Japans' 100RON fuel, and it isn't coping too well with Optimax over here :eek: . I have turned all my boost controllers etc to 'OFF' - they were running around 0.9, but it's been as far up as 1.2. It was suggested that I didn't take the car much above 5.5k revs and try to keep the 2nd turbo at bay until the problem is fixed (especially with this hot weather!).

The suggested resolution was the Greddy E-Manage system, to sort out some of the ignition timing and get it all mapped up for UK fuel. How does that sound? I'm a bit lame when it comes to all this sort of thing - just wondering if anyone else has had this issue and how it was sorted. What other (cheap as poss!) options are there :innocent:

Cheers, James :thumbs:

You'd be the first to have that much of an issue. Unless your ECU is not stock (in which case you could map that instead of buying the e-manage (which is a good bit of kit but shouldn't be required))

You've not mentioned here but I assume your turbo's are stock. Are you de-catted etc - list of mods please.

My best advice is a change of plugs. But I don't know what plugs you have currently. Denso IK24's would be your best bet - from Terry or Partco.

Did you get an AFR readout.

Looks like your running lean and therefore you need to up your fueling. An ECU on it's own won't help. Probably your injectors are fouled and need cleaning.

Whilst Toluene raises the octane it also acts as a cleaner....get a 25L drum from you local chemical wholesaler and stick in a 10% (approx 6-7L per tank) for the next month or so. This should clean the injectors and give you some protection.

ALSO - how hot was it at the dyno station??? Did they have big ass fans pumping cool air at the car? Dyno centre's get very hot and sap power from the car.

I didn't actually get the AFR readout, no ... Guess I should have done really!

There were loads of bag-ass fans pumping away - but as you said, it was still a hot day, and pretty hot inside. The Toluene plan sounds like a good one for peace of mind (although God only knows where my 'local chemical wholesaler' is :p :p ). If it is just dirty injectors, is there any way to get them out and inspect them physically?

Cheers for the help,

J :thumbs:

There is probably a guide on MKIV.COM to help you remove the injectors...and Chris Wilson can flow test them for you and clean them too...

Albion Chemicals (formally HAYS) were my suppliers...try that name in Yell.

Hmmmm .... That could be an option. Get them out and get them tested - although I am screwed if I am without a car! :p

I purposely didn't mention the name of the Dyno as I normally found that when someone mentions a particular tuner, you get replies based on how good/bad they are etc etc. What they did say was that I should get a second opinion on this. They were really honest and said that it would be far too convenient for them to tell me that I need about £1000 worth of engine management bits, and then tell me that they could supply and fit it. They said that they didn't want me to think that they were just saying it to get some business from me, which I thought was pretty good of them!

Cheers, J :thumbs:

Hmmm ..... I don't think they will still have the info. I was actually doing some sound recording work (which may well give the identitiy of the tuner away :p ), so most of it was not measured on the dyno, it was short bursts to capture engine, exhaust and DV sounds. It was only when it came to doing a proper power run that the detonation became apparent, so we aborted it there before actually recording any data. I guess I could give them a shout on the off chance that they store the data, or if the guy remembers any of the figures!

Cheers, J :thumbs:

i have almost the same set-up but i dont have a FMIC, i also have a blitz access ecu and i think it is designed to run higher than 100 ron as it is for the jap market. i do have a walbro pump tho and i use optimax/ultimate. when i had mine tested i did have some det but nothing as bad as what you are saying.

Judging by the fuel you are using, and the mod list, it sounds like you are running lean. So time to decide what you want to go for in the fuelling department.

Check that ECU first, it is in the passenger footwell under the carpet and a cover, 5min job to take a look. :)

So are you still running the standard fuel pump? I thought the performance on these was mean to deteriate as they get older...and cause possible lean running on the top end? I was told to replace mine the second I talked about upping the boost...

Edited:

Baldy you just beat me to it!!:p

Yeah .... as far as I am aware the fuel pump etc is all standard J-Spec stuff. It's one of the first things I did on my old car too (GTIR) ... so It would seem prudent to do it on the Supra as well (probably a damned sight easier too :p )?

Is the FSE required too .... I've read some of Paul E's 'dissertation' on the subject (:p ), but my brain started dribbling out of my ear by the second paragraph!! :eek:

Cheers for all the help,

J :thumbs:

Originally posted by baldy

just an idea

im running similar set up as u but i have a walboro pump & fse,this copes upto 1.45 bar no probs

u dont mention having an uprated pump so might be worth a try they not that expensive

1.45 bar :eek:

I have pretty much the same set-up as you baldy, although I don't have the FMIC like James, however I do have an aem ECU, and at 1.2 bar (18 psi) the injectors are pretty close to going static. (You can monitor duty cycle with the AEM) You want to be careful at 1.45 that you've got good fuelling. A FMIC will only add to the problem (More air, same amount of fuel = leaner)

Perhaps my injectors are knackered, but nothing to indicate such.

Just a heads up :thumbs:

Regards

I would suggest getting the AFR reading and knock checked again, Terry is now offering this at a good price.

I would say that an FSE and Walbro pump should do the job if you are running lean, the pump on its own will not do much as the rail pressure will remain the same, with the FSE you can increase the rail pressure and then squeeze a bit more from your injectors.

:thumbs:

Apart from that James how are tricks, not seen you in a while, was thinking of another small get together down the pub if you are interested.

You deffo need to get the fuelling checked this time around. An uprated fuel pump is a good idea, and the FSE might just about do the job in a rough sort of fashion (grudge grudge :) ) if you haven't got hybrid turbos. The 12v mod won't change jack though. And removing the fuel pulsation dampener to improve fuelling really is grasping at straws :)

-Ian