The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Chargecoolers

michael

I'm considering looking into fitting a chargecooler to my UK TT in place of the current ARC SMIC - before I start my investigations can anyone tell me if this is a bad idea and if so why?

I can see engine bay space being a slight issue when it comes to fitting the various parts but other than that I reckon it might be worth a look.

Has anyone seen any data on chargecooler vs intercooler efficiency on front engined cars like ours?

Thoughts?

I ought to be able to dig something up, but IIRC intercoolers are more efficient than chargecoolers.

One of the techy people on here was doing some work with chargecoolers a while ago. I'll let him remain nameless unless he wants to step forward with info. He should know who he is :p

A charge cooler requires a seperate radiator (extra weight) and all the tubing and pumps associated with it. Water is a better heat soak but you'd need a mamouth radiator to keep the temps down over long periods. It can also fail...via the pump.

The air-to-air type IC is completely reliable (no moving parts), and it maintains it's efficiency (as long as you are moving)

There are arguments for both but once you've mounted the radiator for it (no you can't plumb it into the stock one as they it would remain as hot as the engine) you might as well have just stuck the SMIC in, save yourself the risk of the pump failing...

Or are you talking about another type of Chargecooler? :conf:

Not really any help and not techy at all, but when I took my cav turbo to a RR day, it had 20bhp more than a similarly modded calibra turbo, only difference was that I had a charge cooler and he was running a FMIC (unknown sepc).

Charge cooler does require a lot of space, a fair bit of plumbing and a rad almost the size of a FMIC.

Also I found that If idleing for long periods the CC would get heat soak, being in a very confined engine bay, at least a FMIC is outta the way of the engine heat.

So a general thumbs down so far.... I need to do more research on the subject before I can really offer too much info but most of the stuff I'm coming up with involves a chargecooler replacing an IC that is regarded as being inefficient - I guess the Supra one doesn't suffer this issue really.

Reading to be done, all handy info even if it doesn't end up being suitable :)