The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Where to get a full roll cage made?

SupraHuman

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Go to Webster Racing, Hauser racing or Andy Robinson they build and tag frames for most classes of racing.

If you want my opion on customcages it will have to be via pm :rolleyes:

I have a cage in the car built and fitted by customcages :(

Judging by your choise of smilie I take it you weren't impressed.

I'll contact Webster monday.

Funny old world, I left a bid on an RX-7 this afternoon and there was a racer there in build, with a Custom Cages full weld in cage in it,. Looked quite nicely done so I asked for an opinion. The place slated Safety Devices for fitting a cage that left a shell with distorted door apertures, and sang Custom Cages praises. My brand new Skyline shell is at Safety Devices, I hope I made the right choice! Wes has a nicely installed cage by Andy Robinson's outfit, thank God, as I recommended them. Fabricage and Rollcentre are also well respected. What is the budget? Will you want the shell and cage painting inside after fitment? What state of shell stripping will you deliver the car in?

Funny old world, I left a bid on an RX-7 this afternoon and there was a racer there in build, with a Custom Cages full weld in cage in it,. Looked quite nicely done so I asked for an opinion. The place slated Safety Devices for fitting a cage that left a shell with distorted door apertures, and sang Custom Cages praises. My brand new Skyline shell is at Safety Devices, I hope I made the right choice! Wes has a nicely installed cage by Andy Robinson's outfit, thank God, as I recommended them. Fabricage and Rollcentre are also well respected. What is the budget? Will you want the shell and cage painting inside after fitment? What state of shell stripping will you deliver the car in?

I was impressed with the Andy Robinson stuff, I'm due to pop down to see them as they are local to me.

Hi Chris.

The budget...hmmm,tough one.I guess £1000 as a limit.I'll strip the shell but have Dynamat covering the entire car from boot to firewall,want to leave that in.I'll leave the dash in place too.I'll paint the chassis and cage myself. just want a safe cage I.E done properly,braised in the right places etc.I remember seeing Wes's thread now that you mention it.Cheers

Do you mind asking how much please?CDS steel.

Cheers

When I spoke to Andy over the phone, he said a rough price of £1500 for a simple 6 or 8 point. Obviously that was just over the phone so it isn't a definite price.

I'll pop in monday and have a word with them though. Wez's cage is a lovely piece of work looking at the photos but that wasn't cheap I don't believe.

Sorry when you said

"Where to get a full roll cage made?"

I thought you ment custom full weld in cage, i pressume the £750 one is bolt together jobbie?

It looks to be a full weld in cage,but as a kit,which is not a problem as I can weld it myself. but I wasn't sure if the car has to be in a jig or whatnot while fitting the cage.In that case I want it done by people whom done it before AND with a good reputation.

It looks to be a full weld in cage,but as a kit,which is not a problem as I can weld it myself. but I wasn't sure if the car has to be in a jig or whatnot while fitting the cage.In that case I want it done by people whom done it before AND with a good reputation.

That sounds great for the money, i think wez paid 4 grand for his.

When I spoke to Andy over the phone, he said a rough price of £1500 for a simple 6 or 8 point. Obviously that was just over the phone so it isn't a definite price.

I'll pop in monday and have a word with them though. Wez's cage is a lovely piece of work looking at the photos but that wasn't cheap I don't believe.

Cheers Gav. It don't have be some arty farty space age spider web,as long as it complies with whatever the requirements for a 9sec dragcar are these days.

I am expecting this multi point welded in Skyline cage to be about £2500, plus painting, plus air jack tubes put in. Bear in mind they have it easy with a brand new, totally bare shell.

I have a £7000 pipe bender stod here collecting a fair amount of dust.Might have a go at making a cage myself :)

Air jacks???Are you getting lazy Chris?:D

From the HSK reg book

GSR 4:11 ROLL CAGE (ET 9.99 TO 8.50Secs)Roll Cage: All cage structures must be designed in an attempt to protect the driver from any angle, 360-degrees and be fully welded. All 4130 chrome moly tube welding must be done by approved TIG heliarc process; mild steel tube welding must be approved MIG wire feed or TIG heliarc process. Welding must be free of slag and porosity. Any grinding of welds prohibited. Additionally, roll cage must be padded any where the driver’s helmet may contact it while in the driving position. In Competition eliminator where SFI Spec on chassis is required, padding must meet SFI Spec. 45.1

Your'll need to get the right company to make and fit.

The one from custom cages is just a roll bar for

GSR 4:10 ROLL BARS (ET 11.99 to 10.00Secs)All roll bars must be within 6-inches (152 mm) of the rear, or side, of the driver's head, extend in height at least 3-inches (76 mm) above the driver's helmet with driver in normal driving position, and be at least as wide as the driver's shoulders or within 1-inch (25.4 mm) of the driver's door. Roll bar must be adequately supported or cross-braced to prevent forward or lateral collapse of roll bar. Rear braces must be of the same diameter and wall thickness as the roll bar and intersect with the roll bar at a point not more than 127 mm (5-inches) from the top of the roll bar. Sidebar must be included on driver's side. The side bar must pass the driver at a point midway between the shoulder and elbow. All vehicles with OEM frame must have roll bar attached to frame; installation of frame connectors on unibody cars does not constitute a frame and therefore it is not necessary to have the roll bar attached to the frame. Unibody cars with stock floor and firewall (wheel tubs permitted) may attach roll bar with 150 mm (6-inch) x 150 mm (6-inch) 3 mm (0.125-inch) steel plates on top and bottom of floor bolted together with at least four 10.0 mm 3/8-inch bolts and nuts or weld main hoop to rocker sill area with 0.125 (3.2 mm) reinforcing plates. All 4130 chrome moly tube welding must be done by approved TIG Heliarc process; mild steel ( or ST51) welding must be approved MIG wire feed or TIG heliarc process. Welding must be free of slag and porosity. Any grinding of welds prohibited. See illustration (PIC. 18). Roll bar must be padded anywhere driver's helmet may contact it while in driving position.

Adequate padding must have minimum 1/4-inch (6.35 mm) compression or meet SFI Spec. 45.1.

I commisioned Thor racing to source one of the above for my car to run in the HKS series, they went to custoncages who used both my car and Pete's aero to design the one they are advertising, Thor were supposed to have exclusive market after funding the design using our 2 car.

After the damage to my car and their dealings with the situation Thor decided to keep away from them.

As of yet i haven't had my car with the roll bar passed to run in the HKS series so am not able to state it would pass scruitineering.

The 2 people that give the ok are:-

DRAG RACING CHASSIS INSPECTORS

SFI Approved Chassis Inspectors:

Geoff Martin-01608 674121 (Mobile): 07811 678798

Mark Norton-01865 400812 (Mobile): 07881 456314

These guys measure tube thickness, designs and check welding, they approve cages built by reconised companies like Websters, Housier and Andy Robinsons far more often that bespoke ones.

At the end of the day if your going to the trouble of having one it needs to be able to protect you if needed.

Mine has bolt in door bars and is made of CDS, bolts to plates welded to the floor etc.

I could post up some picture if you want but dont think its realy what your after as its no good for a 9 sec car

Edited by GazB (see edit history)

Cheers Gav. It don't have be some arty farty space age spider web,as long as it complies with whatever the requirements for a 9sec dragcar are these days.

If you are looking for a 8.5 sec legal cage then webster etc will be well over 2K dude, have you ever seen a custom cages cage??? that will tell you why they are that money. I spoke to a young lad reccomended to me by someone who has seen his work and he was a good price and sounds keen, Nickson Motorsport. 01428654263 0r 07500665681. You will not get a 8.5 sec cage worth having for a grand.

I had mine done at Robinson Race Cars, cost about £1400 + VAT approx from memory. I was happy with it apart from they didn't tie the cage into the pillars which I asked them to do and leaves the shell flopping around the cage. Plus I asked them to make sure I can still get my heater in and out if I needed to which I've just discovered I cant as they've welded the stock dash bar into the cage. Basically to get my heater out I've got to smash it out and wont be able to put one back in it if I want to, not what I wanted. Apart from that its very good.