The mkiv Supra Owners Club

new owner hopefully

jonshaw_uk

hi guys

im looking for some advice please

im looking to buy a supra over the next few days, and i got some questions that i hope some one can give me some help

im only 22 so i know that insurance on an import is gonna be about the £1400 full comp

how reliable would the non turbo import be? my dad had an m plate 2 years ago and it seemed really reliable but people come saying things about them and i dont no who to believe.

im looking to pay about 6k for a manual L reg with about 50k miles is this the average sort of price??

thanks in advance

I havn't really been following the prices recently (too scared) but 6K seems cheap for a good nick one.

Insurance on the turbo may actually be cheaper but the car will cost more.

Realiablitliy is not an issue with any of them as long as they have been serviced and not highly modded.

Happy hunting and welcome to the BBS!:)

i have had a quote from adrian flux and the policy is ready for £1400 full comp as i have 4 years ncb and been driving for 5 years

it was the reliability that i was really concerned about, the car wont be highly modded - probably a veilside kit, an exhaust and filter and then just a tv and dvd player

I expect that i will keep the engine pretty standard cos of the insurance. Are the gear boxes and clutches pretty strong as i have heard terrible stories from people with GTO's and 300Zx's about the unreliability of them andthe cost of the parts and to do the work.

thanks the replies as well :)

If you have a look through previous posts on the site you will find that the SUpra is famed for its reliability and low requirement for amintenence.

The Getrag 6 speed box on the TT is used kept on cars that are 1000 BHP, and the autoboxes are equally strong when using an uprated torque converter.

As previous mentioned, if they are serviced regularly you wont have any problems at all. There stand up very well to abuse as they have a very over engineered and understressed engine.

Again, the turbos are the same as any other mechanical component and will only brake if used in a way taht was not intended by Mr. T.