The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Number plate letter sizing help

pbryant_knight

HI all,

Ok, i need a definitive answer to this question. I recall someone on here being very knowledgeable about the subject.

Just recieved a letter from the police stating "REGISTRATION MARK DOES NOT COMPLY WITH STANDARD FORMAT".

BASTARDS!!!

This has boiled my blood considering on Friday night i was pulled over on the A19 for driving "Too Slow" (going 50 at the time) and the plate spacing was never mentioned.

My car is a Jap import and i know the spacings allowed are different. I really want to fight this and i'd appreciate it if someone could give me the exact size and spacings that i'm allowed.

I've attached a pic of the car to show the plate's i'm using.

Cheers

Peter

S1 - low.jpg

S9 - low.jpg

S5 - low.JPG

Edited by pbryant_knight (see edit history)

Here is my post at the end of that thread. :)

• Character Height - 79mm
  • Character Width - 50mm
  • Character Stroke - 14mm
  • Space Between Characters - 11mm
  • Space Between Groups - 33mm
  • Top, Bottom & Side Margins (minimum) - 11mm
  • Space Between Vertical Lines - 19mm

Right, with regards to dimensions of the rear plate I have taken some measurements:-

Over 2 lines, the minimum height of a UK square plate is 191mm:

11mm margin + 79mm letter height + 11mm space between characters of top and bottom row + 79mm letter height + 11mm margin.

For a 5 digit plate e.g. "A1 AAA", the minimum width of a UK oblong plate is 338mm:

11mm margin + 50mm character width + 11mm space between characters + 50mm character width + 33mm space between groups + 50mm character width + + 11mm space between characters + 50mm character width + 11mm space between characters + 50mm character width + 11mm margin.

So yeah, UK square minimum height = 191mm and UK oblong minimum width = 338mm.

If you have the rear number plate surrounds fitted, this makes the recess only able to accomodate the dimensions:

maximum height = 185mm

maximum width = 330mm

In other words - if you have the number plate surrounds fitted - a UK plate of the layout 'A1 AAA' CANNOT be fitted to the rear of the car!

I do not have the surrounds fitted, yet - given they are a factory option on the car - will argue my case.

Hope this helps people :)

fast and furious is illigal mate! thats what the problem is! the only thing u can have at the bottom of the plate is were the car was bought from or the name and post code of the poeple that make the plate!

What i did with my corrado when i have new pates mate up as the old ones were just tatty, i hade the name and postcode of the plate maker the same colour as the plate as it does not state what colour that needs to me ..... so that was all hidden

Also it needed to have a BS stamp on it! i had that the same colour aswell....but import or not you can not have "slogans" at the bottom of the plate!

As for the front plate its legal if its a Jap import to have smaller characters as it says in the e-mail i got from the DVLA also my local plate maker "ant graphics" said so (for the front) also http://www.craigsplates.co.uk/import-number-plates.html have a look there aswell mate.

Edited by a98pmalcolm (see edit history)