The mkiv Supra Owners Club

More engine woes

James

Replaced the battery yesterday (Halfords HCB005).

I have fuel in the car.

I have oil in the car.

It doesn't sound like the starter (not really clicking as such)?

Looks like the headgasket is gone though:

Took a video of trying to start it.

Any ideas?

:(

Replaced the battery yesterday (Halfords HCB005).

I have fuel in the car.

I have oil in the car.

It doesn't sound like the starter (not really clicking as such)?

Looks like the headgasket is gone though:

http://i248.photobucket.com/albums/gg193/HateEvent/3b4565aa.jpg

http://i248.photobucket.com/albums/gg193/HateEvent/10895147.jpg

Took a video of trying to start it.

Any ideas?

:(

May not be BHG, is your dipstick also creamy?

Is it actually turning over? How far along the starting process is it getting? Is the starter motor just clicking like it's got power but not enough to crank?

When was the last time you checked spark plugs etc?

Edit : Apologies, asking this as don't have access to youtube

you can also get mayo in supra if not used often and only short trips.

Well the car has barely been used for a few months really, only short trips every week but less that a mile at anytime (work and back) as far as i'm aware.

Stop giving it gas when you're trying to start it - it's not a carburetted engine - the EFI system will take care of fuelling it - trying to help it along like that will flood it.

Have you looked at your plugs since trying to get it running?

If they engine is flooded is this what would happen, as in how the engine is in the youtube vid?

Is the car not starting?

No it isn't starting at all, this is as far as it gets-

GEevbFKyt9w

May not be BHG, is your dipstick also creamy?

It seems like there was a little bit on the dipstick, i think James has a photo he took of the dipstick he could put up.

Fuel filter, fuel pump, it sounds like it wants to fire up.

When did it start not starting?

it really does sound like it wants to start up, we were perhaps nieve putting a little throttle on start up, i'm hoping it's just flooded the engine instead of gasket problems.

have you checked ignitor pack ?

i see this problem time and time again on these cars.

nope we havn't really checked anything atm as we weren't sure where to start.

right just seen your vid..

its your plugs or your ignitor..

has someone tried to jump start the car recently ?

my bet is they have fried the ignitor pack.

yes, there was an attemp to jump the car, as you say the plugs are a pain in the ass so lets hope it's the ignitor, n00b question but how easy is it to change the ignitor then, is it something we can do ourselfs (or get our friend who is good with a spanner to do)?

thanks for the help Jurgen.

Even though Marc has - correctly - answered most of the questions I thought I'd clarify anyway :)

you can also get mayo in supra if not used often and only short trips.

I've not really been able to take it on itself journeys after the turbo water pipe failing and the matrix going causing overheating issues so I can't keep it running for extensive periods of time.

It sat for about 3 weeks until a couple of weeks ago due to the adverse weather conditions :)

The turbo water pipes have now been replaced and I'm going to block off the matrix in the meantime until we can get the job done otherwise!

As Jurgen as already said, thats acceptable if the cars been sitting, unless you look into the cam cover and its all a milky coffee colour then you may have problems!

I didn't see anything under the cam cover so I'm hoping that it's ok and is just from sitting/short journeys!

Fuel filter, fuel pump, it sounds like it wants to fire up.

When did it start not starting?

I replaced the battery on Monday night and it started (sounding sketchy as it did however, but then came to life.

Then it started Tuesday morning fine enough, took it to work. It struggled when at work to start as I moved it to let a work colleague move his car and then I left it overnight. Then the next attempt was yesterday afternoon which I videoed :)

have you checked ignitor pack ?

i see this problem time and time again on these cars.

I haven't as yet but Marc will let me try his and we can see if it was that :)

I take it you didn't get round to doing the heater matrix then now this this problem has occured?

No, we were going to move the car so that we could do the matrix but then it decided not to go :lol:

I know what you mean, always happens to me. You start doing one job only to find another problem that needs doing. Im sure you will love every minute of it:hide:

Joking aside, I hope you both manage to get BOTH jobs sorted as hassle free a possible. Il keep my eye on this thread for the progress reports ;)

Thanks dude, will let everyone know if the ignitor pack sorts it!

Put some NEW platinum plugs in it after turning it over a good few times on the starter, with all the plugs out, and the fuel pump disabled, and with the throttle wide open. Once it starts take it for a good (30 mile plus) run.

Cheers for that Chris - will try the ignitor pack first of all but I think some new plugs and leads are in order anyway, every precaution to eliminate issue possibilities!

Sorry to hear james :(

I'll be back sometime this week to see if i can lend a hand too :)

Cool Kieran! Will see if this sorts it today otherwise you can help :D

I just want to get everything in the chain seen to really!

Tried Marc's ignitor pack today and it was still doing the same so going to order new plugs.

Looked on Whifbitz' site, NGK iridium shall do fine. I don't know exact level of boost but it's a 1st decat shy of BPU which I plan on going. Guessing grade 7 be my best option?

I just want to get everything in the chain seen to really!

Tried Marc's ignitor pack today and it was still doing the same so going to order new plugs.

Looked on Whifbitz' site, NGK iridium shall do fine. I don't know exact level of boost but it's a 1st decat shy of BPU which I plan on going. Guessing grade 7 be my best option?