The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Interest in TDI Dyno day? (no auto supras)

JamieP

Just had a chat with Sam at TDI about doing a club Dyno day and at this time im gauging interest, sorry but they can not do auto cars on this dyno, manuals only.

I expect this will be a problem for a fair few of you so not sure how this will go for numbers.

http://www.tdi-plc.com/index.php

They use a Rototest VPA-R Hub dyno that from what i read its the very best.

TDI run these days as a charity event and dont charge as such but a donation to Great Ormond Street Hospital is expected. (please be generous)

Available dates are 17th april and 1st may.

1. JamieP

Edited by JamieP (see edit history)

Sam has seen the thread and this is his reply regarding auto on the hub dyno.

For what it’s worth my reason for suggesting not to include auto’s is because they can be awkward to run and awkwardness isn’t normally conducive of a stress free dyno day.

This might seem rather obvious but the dyno can only measure the output of the hub to which it’s connected, so for the measured results to relate to what’s going on up front in the engine bay our cars power train has to be positively engaged from front to back. Most road going auto’s do have an electro-magnetic lock up clutch on the torque converter which is used to achieve this exact condition during cruising but it’s seldom user controllable, so forcing it to lock up and stay locked up during testing does normally require modifying the control circuit and adding a manually operated switch. Secondly the auto gear boxes themselves need to stay in the same gear throughout all of our testing, this might sound easy but most auto gearbox control systems are programmed to change down if the engine is laboring, that is to say that engine load is high but the rate of engine speed acceleration is low. Out in the real world this change down programming makes perfect sense but in the dyno cell it basically screws with us as we need to make the engine “labour” in order to achieve accurate results, varying the engine speed rate of gain on the dyno just to keep an auto gearbox happy normally results in us using a very fast ramp rate which introduces many other problematic variables to the test results such as driveline inertia and boost building characteristics.

Sadly not for me, I'm still no fan of TDI after their threats of legal action in the past. But then they know that so I doubt it concerns them too much.

Thats reason enough for me not to waste the fuel, oh and ive got an auto so that clinches it :)