The mkiv Supra Owners Club

High flow cats, MOT and emmissions?

bodilx6

I'm looking for experiences with high flow cats and MOT.

Now, I'm in Denmark so legislation is probably different but the main point is to get the car to have emmissios at the same level as a stock supra TT i guess.

I would love to fit a catalyst to my decatted BPU but I would like to know what to go for and if it will actually result in emmisions that are comparable to a stock TT.

And of cause, it shouldn't restrict the car. Optimally it would should be able to act as the same kind of restricion a Restriction Ring gives...

I haven't been able to find any real info on this and don't know how you handle it in the UK. Here in DK there are "ways" around it but they are difficult and annoying and I would love to have an emmission legal car.

So, who are running what with what kind of results?

Thanks, Chris.. I agree.

But here in DK we are risking some problems. Police are getting more aware of the tuning scene and loves to stop Supras. One of the guys recently got a bill of something like 20.000£ and orders to build back to stock... :(

Sooo... It would be nice to have car that would just sail though any check...

Thanks, Chris.. I agree.

But here in DK we are risking some problems. Police are getting more aware of the tuning scene and loves to stop Supras. One of the guys recently got a bill of something like 20.000£ and orders to build back to stock... :(

Sooo... It would be nice to have car that would just sail though any check...

reading things like this make me feel better about our poorly run country

I have a high flow cat fitted although I haven't taken it through MOT yet. I also don't think I need an emissions test on my MOT because of the car's age - just a check that there is a cat in place - so I have no idea how it compares on emissions.

Restriction wise, I still need an RR and was comfortably overboosting to about 1.35 bar with cat and no RR. With ring fitted I now boost to around 1.1.

I thought my post would be more helpful to you than that before I started typing... still, you learned something about my car :)

A good place for an exhaust diverter valve and a stock CAT maybe? And diverter valves come no better than the ceramic ones in the TT set up... Bypass the cat when you want the most power, through the cat when testing? Or would they see their arses over something like that? :)

Probably not and its a good idea, but wouldn't it take a lot of room and weight?

As of now, I'm running with the 1st cat with a hole knocked through it acting as a RR. This is ok for a visual check, but going the MOT place, it won't help a lot. Moving a 2nd stock cat in/out would solve most issues except for a possible mobile emmissions check and hey, with a "fake" cat on, I do have an excuse...

I have a high flow cat fitted...

Interesting about it not being restrictive enough to act as a RR. I'm guessing this guarantees that the BPU performance will be kept just as if the car was fully decatted?

Which cat are you using and where is it fitted? Do you have ny EGT readings?

I'm guessing this guarantees that the BPU performance will be kept just as if the car was fully decatted?

Which cat are you using and where is it fitted? Do you have ny EGT readings?

It seems to boost well enough so as far as I know there's no performance loss. Having said that, I went straight from stock to BPU with the cat fitted so can't really make a proper comparison between BPU with cat vs. BPU without cat.

Not sure what brand it is, the garage that did it for me got it - it's the same one they use on their 700bhp racing Evo so obviously it doesn't stop the power reaching high figures. It wasn't massively expensive, about £250 I think - I'll try and find out where it came from.

I believe it's built into the second decat pipe - I supplied the decat pipe and they cut it up and fixed the cat in the middle. At least that's what they said they would do - haven't actually seen the results to know.

I don't have any EGT readings I'm afraid - my budget stopped short of an EGT gauge.