The mkiv Supra Owners Club

RLTC and fueling

Dash Rendar

There seem to have been a recent spate of RLTC related issues. Many seem to be as a result of an overzealous right foot asking too much of the system. Some may be from inproper setup. And some RLTC-implicated incidents may just be totally coincidental engine trauma after some serious RLTC cutting action.

So, I *did* use the search, and I've seen various pro and con arguments. But the one discussion I haven't been able to find any info on is whether the RLTC can actually do damage to the engine.

The way I understand it, RLTC works by cutting fuel to the engine when slip is detected. The more slip, the more aggressive the fuel cut.

But presumably, the most slip is typically seen under (or approaching) full boost. And when the car is under full boost (especially on mapped cars running beyond stock levels), presumably, anything that results in the engine running leaner is really bad.

So, when the RLTC cuts the fuel, doesn't it end up making the mix leaner? So, if the RLTC is cutting in a lot, is that doing any damage?

Is the RLTC clever enough to wait until the end of a fuel injection period before cutting the supply to the injector? If the RLTC stops the injection halfway though, whilst the injector is open I can see a situation where the charge for one combusition cycle is particularly lean.

RLTC only stops complete pulses to the injectors. It can't interrupt the 'current' pulse

Is the RLTC clever enough to wait until the end of a fuel injection period before cutting the supply to the injector? If the RLTC stops the injection halfway though, whilst the injector is open I can see a situation where the charge for one combusition cycle is particularly lean.

The RLTC is wired to the ABS wheel sensors, it receives the signal from each sensor and determines when a wheel(s) is spinning.

The RLTC output is wired between the ECU and the injectors. When wheel spin is detected the RLTC completely cuts an injector pulse ie. stopping 100% of the fuel to a cylinder. As the cylinder only receives air and no fuel there is no combustion.

Edited by Nic (see edit history)

There is one caveat to put in here, and that is - if you are running a piggyback ECU that can extend or modify injector pulses, for example the E-Manage Ultimate, you need RLTC to be the last thing in the chain before the injectors themselves. Otherwise RLTC might cut the pulse and then the piggyback adds in a bit of duration and then you've got a potential lean situation.

-Ian