The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Calling the club painters

Guest blueangel

Guest blueangel

Just want a little advice from you guys as im spraying my car myself and using a pearl paint lol :).

First off how many ltr's of paint do i need per coat ie primer,groundcoat,top coat and laquer.

Second could anyone maybe write a breif description of the steps to a great sprayjob, i wont have a booth but basically a warm sealed area and i will be clean when im done:)

Any help much appreiciated

ric

Guest blueangel
This I have to see....

Why may i ask, there's not much i cant put my hand to if i want to do it.I live by the rule if i put my mind to it anything is possible (apart from getting the missus to shell out for a single conversion:p)

That's fair enough mate, and good luck to you. I guess it's just that painting a car is an artform that I believe takes years to perfect. There's so many variables to take into consideration, thats only made considerably harder when you factor in pearl paint.

I've seen DIY spray jobs in the past, and the only ones that looked good, were the ones carried out by people that have been doing it for years.

Guest blueangel
That's fair enough mate, and good luck to you. I guess it's just that painting a car is an artform that I believe takes years to perfect. There's so many variables to take into consideration, thats only made considerably harder when you factor in pearl paint.

I've seen DIY spray jobs in the past, and the only ones that looked good, were the ones carried out by people that have been doing it for years.

Ive sprayed small things before using my compressor and rattle can and get a good finish from both.I am a bit nervous about doing it but ive done everything on the car so far building it from the ground up the only bit that gets touched by anyone else will be the engine which will be in Kerons safe hands.

If you have not ever painted before, id suggest getting some experience on a small old car with flat paints, then up to metallics, then finally onto pearls, and then onto the Supra. Not at all easy.

what was the quote i remember when i was chatting to you about it some time ago... something like "never ever again, for nobody, for no ammount of money". not word for word but something like that :p

Litres - depends if you also wanna know what sort of capacity to have in reserve for when you mess it up for the 30th time and rub it back to bare steel while muttering about listening to people :p

Guide - you are asking a similar question to the man about to strip down and rebuild a car while asking if we think its a good idea he buy any spanners :p Seriously, hit google and do some searching :)

Ok a few a questions.

1. what colour?

2. I take it its a three stage pearl ( not a candy base /tinted laquer)

3. Please tell me you have a full airfed mask!!! and compressor to run it for a full repaint.

4. whay not save alot of heartache and pay someone to top coat it you can do all the prep but then its finding someone who will trust your prepwork.

I still say if you think you can pull it off then do it the satisfaction will be great!! But if it goes wrong the time you spend putting it right will piss you off no end!

Just my 2p's worth.

Dave

My first bit of advice would have to be DON'T USE PEARL!

especially since you have not sprayed a car before, it will look crap! pearl requires very controlled coats in different directions for each, so you will need space and good light.

If you want to go ahead then use solid or metallic, coverage Will depend on your equipment and how you apply it, one further tip, buy your paint from a decent source and of reasonable quality, and preferably all the same make, that will cut down on compatibility errors.

By a decent mask, make sure you have good airflow in the spray area, and as said practise on some other large objects first, having said all that, you may find that it will be cheaper to pay a professional to do it by the time you have spent god knows what on paint;)

Other than that good luck and take your time, and do some reading first.