The mkiv Supra Owners Club

light weight supra

Guest George89

Guest George89

I currently own a supra na auto. I am wondering what kind of things can i take out to make the car more lighter. I don't want to take off the carpets at the front but i don't mind taking it off at the back, and back seats etc. Would it make noticable diffrence?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Been discussed loads and if you searchyou will find everything you need mate, including the weights lost

Seats changed to lightweight units

rear seats

jack

spare wheel

stereo

air con

lighter wheels

carbon bonnet

etc etc

Some have taken it to the extreme, very much the best way to make your NA quicker, thing is you will end up with a very noisy car

Some quick sums, I'm not up on exact weights of NA's but if you shed 100kg of weight from a 1500kg car that is 225bhp (now 1400kg), to maintain the same power to weight the 1500kg car would need 240bhp, so thats 15bhp.

To lose 100kg you're going to go on a pretty hardcore car diet (much more than removing back seats :D)

Although it's not just outright power you gain, it's brake & handle better also :)

Guest George89

I guess i will be wasting my time then. I might as well take of the rear seats. put in some lightweight seats at front with 4 point harness. Would make things more fun

I drive a very nice R32 GTR on loan for a month a few years ago, it was running a nice twin HKS set up and about 550 BHP,it was fully stripped out, it was SO NOISY and the the lightweight race seats were just so uncomfortable, no stereo, no air con, put me off stripping out the comfort for ever!

Unless I had a dedicated track car I would get a test drive in a stripped out car first to see if you can live with it !

Lightweight front seats are a big saving (relative to other things you can change), my old seats were 21kg each, the new ones are 8.5kg each inc brackets & fittings, total weight saving were 25kg (not many things you can swap in a car & get that saving :D)

So with seats alone i could be under the 1400 kg mark

Neh neh :p

i put my car on a crash diet. it has ;

no spare wheel,

no jack

no rear seats,

all the sound proofing is gone

all the mouldrd carpets are gone

my lexus front brake setup is about 4/5 lbs lighter than my j-specs

aftermarket suspension is lighter than stock,

tyres are inflated with helium ( they feel verry light off the car)

i never have more than 25ltrs of fuel at any one time

and thers numerous nuts and screws that have come out and not gone back in :)

i want carbon fibre doors, boot, wings and bonet. that should shave a few more pounds off

the bigest change in performance came when i srapped a garrett on though ;)

Guest George89
i put my car on a crash diet. it has ;

no spare wheel,

no jack

no rear seats,

all the sound proofing is gone

all the mouldrd carpets are gone

my lexus front brake setup is about 4/5 lbs lighter than my j-specs

aftermarket suspension is lighter than stock,

tyres are inflated with helium ( they feel verry light off the car)

i never have more than 25ltrs of fuel at any one time

and thers numerous nuts and screws that have come out and not gone back in :)

i want carbon fibre doors, boot, wings and bonet. that should shave a few more pounds off

the bigest change in performance came when i srapped a garrett on though ;)

With the cost of carbon doors, boot, wings and bonet you can up the horse power for a lot more performance rather then making it lighter

With the cost of carbon doors, boot, wings and bonet you can up the horse power for a lot more performance rather then making it lighter

i know but big horse power wont allow me to brake later and carry higher corner speed :)

im happy with how it goes in a straight line, power isnt everything

Guest George89
i know but big horse power wont allow me to brake later and carry higher corner speed :)

im happy with how it goes in a straight line, power isnt everything

That is also true maybe AP Racing Brakes? but handling bit you are right

it seems the biootlid with a plexi window is quiet a big saving, looking at things the bonnet and wings are pretty light annyway

Yip boot & lexan would be the best saving, wouldn;t do the doors unless I had other side impact protection like a full cage, you would need a proper bonnet to see any savings there, a proper 6kg carbon bonnet is only a 5kg saving on stock (once sound proofing is removed), most fake carbon bonnets will be getting on for 11kg anyway

whats the weight of the n\a hardtop when it has no extra`s such as the aircon and that if we stripped it out and some how added extra horses we could be close to the nsx

Engine 2,977 cc (181.7 cu in) C30A V6 270 bhp (201 kW; 274 PS), 210 lb·ft (280 N·m)

Curb weight 2,950 lb (1,340 kg) (1991–1996)

which in my oppinion is a very cool car :D