The mkiv Supra Owners Club

What In Car Fire Extinguisher?

JamieP

Sorry but thats exactly what i dont want, how do you know it seems ok? have you tried it?:D

Demon tweaks or safety devices?

Good thinking, bet demon tweaks have some good quality ones.

Id suggest a CO2 rather than a dry powder one, the powder apparently is hard to remove and makes such a mess.

It all depends on what you want it to do really... I like the idea of a 2 stage system, Co2 to deal with the initial flash and if need be powder. As Rob said though, the powder is HORRRRRRIBLE stuff.

BUT powder is far better on fuel/oils.. There is a product called Lifeline which is a one shot cannister for racing use, not sure exactly what it contains, but it doesn't make too much mess.

http://www.lifeline-fire.co.uk/handheld/fireextinguishers.asp

If you get an underbonnet fire unless your really lucky and notice it very quickly your wasting your time with most hand held car extinguishers, ive witnessed 1st hand 2 car fires and how quickly an under bonnet fire takes hold is scary and a large factory sized co2 didnt touch stopping either.

If you really want fire protection a neat plumbed in race car system is the only way to go in my opinion

If you put one of those little Halfords jobbies in your car it will only be good for putting out a fag burn and making a complete mess of the interior with the white powder which you may not know is attracted to static electricity and will get into everything including all the electrics and cause havoc

I would get a commercial CO2 from Chubb if you dont want plumbed in, the CO2 will not be 100% effective on burning petrol however but it will not make a mess of everything trying, you could have a small powder just incase I guess as back up

Powder, after just sitting a rather lengthy firefighting course and seeing just how little powder it takes to knock down any class ABC fire was just astonishing

Co2 is fine, but if your in the car when you let it off, what are you going to breathe?

Co2 is also USELESS on a ClassB fire (liquids such as oil and fuel) which you will deal with in a car as they have no cooling effect

Powder maybe messy but its going to put out of the fire quickly without having to use all the extinguisher to save for re-ignitions which might occur if you don't have a battery kill switch

Edited by Ric (see edit history)

Cant be arsed with it, its not a race car and how many members would go to that length? none i guess. feel free though:)

yes have already purchased an electric one,with five nozzles two for boot two for engine bay,and one for dash,can't put a price on your safety,press a button job done hopefully.

yes have already purchased an electric one,with five nozzles two for boot two for engine bay,and one for dash,can't put a price on your safety,press a button job done hopefully.

And one with automatic sensors will activate if you're unconscious. May well save your life :D