The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Cheapest place for oem discs these days?

miko_supra

I thought 3G were better? Every review and comment I have read says they are. They weren't cheaper than stocks.

Thats what i thought too but cant comment on how good they are yet as havent really tested them as i only picked my car up from AFR yesterday :)

I thought 3G were better? Every review and comment I have read says they are. They weren't cheaper than stocks.

Sorry, but I did lol at this. "better" needs to be quantified and whenever anyone that has purchased a set is questioned there's no response other than it "feeling" better than old discs. No sh*t - almost any old *new* tat will feel better than knackered old discs. It doesn't mean they are improved over the OEM discs, far from it in fact, they are inferior in terms of braking capacity.

Toyota will have spent millions getting the brake specification correct, do you really believe that some company in Taiwan/China will be able to replicate the OEM design with the same quality manufacturing processes, same material quality and above all else - research to ensure they are suitable for purpose?

You know they won't.

I've used 3G discs before and though they were fine for public use (though had slight less braking power when cold/warm due to less surface area), both fronts cracked after a track day with hard brake zones. The OEM ones I got from CW survived the same track and even after 4 years are still on the car today, even after 30k miles (probably more like 40k miles now)

Sorry, but I did lol at this. "better" needs to be quantified and whenever anyone that has purchased a set is questioned there's no response other than it "feeling" better than old discs. No sh*t - almost any old *new* tat will feel better than knackered old discs. It doesn't mean they are improved over the OEM discs, far from it in fact, they are inferior in terms of braking capacity.

Toyota will have spent millions getting the brake specification correct, do you really believe that some company in Taiwan/China will be able to replicate the OEM design with the same quality manufacturing processes, same material quality and above all else - research to ensure they are suitable for purpose?

You know they won't.

I've used 3G discs before and though they were fine for public use (though had slight less braking power when cold/warm due to less surface area), both fronts cracked after a track day with hard brake zones. The OEM ones I got from CW survived the same track and even after 4 years are still on the car today, even after 30k miles (probably more like 40k miles now)

No need to be pissy mate, you seem to have a real attitude with your responses to my posts of late. Seem to be getting personal for some reason and I don't know what.

I got them on the recommendation of people like Paul Whiffin. I could have got stock discs for £20 less but I didn't as I was told these were better and thanks to the RS10 design they cool better with the right pads.

As far as I understand it, its the matching between the discs and pads that is cruicial with regards to braking quality & longevity. Perhaps your match was a bit off causing the issues you had. I've not had any problems so far and, even though I haven't tried them out on a track, I have used them pretty hard on a couple of occasions and been very happy with the new setup.

I'm not getting pissy at all, far from it! I'm not sure why you think that. Maybe it's just because you've posting some replies that have caught attention and/or been inaccurate :search:

Anyway, the 3G discs are grooved and therefore offer less road use braking performance. It's utterly ridiculous to believe that they are superior to OEM ones in anything but hard and repeated use (i.e track conditions). For road use they will have less braking capability than OEM.

Pad choice is always important and vital, but the 'matching' you talk about is tripe. I'd be amazed if Paul sold the discs to you in that way, it would be very misleading and not something the club would expect from a trader.

Yeah my dealer gives me up to 20% off stuff like brakes and suspension components etc... basicly the expensive stuff :)

Saying that though its been a while since i ordered so the prices may of gone up slightly since but cant see it being by much

I'm not getting pissy at all, far from it! I'm not sure why you think that. Maybe it's just because you've posting some replies that have caught attention and/or been inaccurate :search:

Anyway, the 3G discs are grooved and therefore offer less road use braking performance. It's utterly ridiculous to believe that they are superior to OEM ones in anything but hard and repeated use (i.e track conditions). For road use they will have less braking capability than OEM.

Pad choice is always important and vital, but the 'matching' you talk about is tripe. I'd be amazed if Paul sold the discs to you in that way, it would be very misleading and not something the club would expect from a trader.

Its all about opinions here. If you disagree with my opinion then fine, put your case forward and lets have a discussion. Don't just toss what members say to the side and call it tripe, for all you know your opinion could be wrong. Not very diplomatic or friendly of you at all in fact. I had always been told that it was best to match pads to discs, I have read it many times on many forums. Some discs are worn faster by some pads and vice versa. I love being wrong, I just like to know why I am wrong so that I will understand and the next time I will be right.

In fact why not just remove all the useless tripe from the forum? Everytime something is posted that has been covered in the past I hear people saying "use the search", when I did search I got the impression that 3G were better discs than stock for fast road use. If this information is inaccurate then a lot of information found through the search will be inaccurate so is it not best to post the question fresh each time to get fresh opinions? Of course I am referring to every subject as a lot of erroneous information will be found in the search with very little substance to back anything up.

Regarding your comments. You have now said that 3g discs are more suited to the track whereas before you said they failed on the track. Unsure of where you are going here, are they just crap in your opinion? Other than your personal experience do you have anything to back this up? Is it possible you were unlucky? I thought they were a semi-premium brand hence why I bought them. When during road use are OEM discs going to be better? Will they stop faster from 30? 70? Personally I can't see it. The grooves aid in cooling & also keep the glaze off of the pads. I have found the 3G discs with CW pads absolutely fantastic in all manor of stopping, although not constant hard braking. The 3G discs are also lighter aiding the rotational mass which I thought was always good?

FWIW Paul didn't sell me the discs. I asked him for a price and his opinion on them, I ended up getting them from another supplier who had them sent to me direct from the 3G factory. As per this area of Paul's shop I would say it is clear to see that he does recommend them.

Lastly why is the same not said for brake pads? Lots of information on brake pads on this forum and it is rare to see CW or endless pads rated less than toyota. Going by the logic used for the brake discs toyota pads would be the best.

Ive only ever used o/e discs and pads and have done a few trackdays and not had a problem, for trackday use they were fine and coped with 5 flying laps then give them a breather and so on.

If you continued round lap after lap and on a good pace then you could cause warping of the discs and suffer brake fade.

For rd use unless you are mad and drive around like a loon they are more than up to the task, my cars a UK spec so has the larger brakes.

Getting the brake fluid changed is a must unless its been done, my car hadnt been done in a long time if at all and the differance was remarkable

Edited by Dnk (see edit history)

Well ive just changed my disc and pads from OEM to 3G just because i fancied something different to be honest.

I had no choice but to get them changed because my OEM ones were so warped it was unbelievable, my brake pedal just felt like it was trying to push my foot back and my car just did not want to stop!

And i also read on here that there is nothing wrong with OEM discs but another good set up is 3G with CW pads and when i spoke to Chris he seemed to think it was a good set up, so thats what i went with but i would happily change back to OEM as long as they didnt warp like they did last time.