The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Merc SLR

dangerous brain

3 secs faster than any of the other cars :eek: Thats an absolute age on track :eek:

In a league such as the gallardo et al, that is nothing short of awesome :D :thumbs:

They need to get the Carrera GT and Enzo round the track now, would be interested to see which is the winner...........

Originally posted by baldy

umm

big money there mate

a mate of mine just put front disecs and pads on a 360 ferrari

they are ceramic aswell

£10000

yes that is ten thousand

would have to be a mega good group buy!

Feck me!! :eek:

NOTE TO SELF : ONLY BUY A FERRARI IF I WIN LOTTERY

Originally posted by dangerous brain

Did anyone see that merc SLR on topgear tonight?? Talk about awesome!!!! Now what we need is a group buy on them ceramic brakes!!:p

No but i have seen about 8 of them being built when i was working at Tag McLaren in woking last year :thumbs:

They said i could have one for £350,000 :eek:

The SLR was awesome, just a shame its an auto :p

The brakes were feckin impressive, especially when they caught fire and the air brake!:D

In this months Top Gear mag, they test the SLR against the Carrera GT round a track - SLR did it in 1:20:9, GT did it in 1:19:8!! Not sure what track it was coz i've not read the full article yet :D

P.S. The 911 would kick both their backsides :p :innocent:

P.P.S anyone know how to start the Alfa yet :D

The SLR sounded amazing, a big V8 is good enough but with that supercharger whine it sounded like a plane taking off. Awesome.

Yeah, the hypnotism was a bit scary. I'm sceptical about it all, does anyone know a person its been done to?

Bloody funny though, when Clarkson appeared in that mini-cherokee and slammed into the porsche - 'what are you doing in that, you look ridiculous!' :D

A quick note on those ceramic brakes...

The Porsche system which has been on sale for a while now and is fitted to the GT has run into problems.

Apparrently instead of lasting 160,000miles or so they are lasting 3,000 miles when used on track days. IMO, brakes that should last 160,000miles should last for a few track days especially when its heat and therefore high stress braking that they are designed for.

The Porsche system is £6000 upgrade from stock....a full set of replacement parts from Porsche (discs and pads) is £27,000!!! EVERY 3,000 miles!

If I'd bought a breaking system designed to last the life of the car and was having to replace £27k of kit every year I'd be a bit p1ssed off to say the least!

The fault is with the discs, with fissure's developing after a decent run.

Porsche's efforts to sort the problem have been to add to the small print that the discs won't stand up to a track day...way to go Porsche. :rolleyes:

I hope the SLR's are better built.

Originally posted by outatime

Yeah, the hypnotism was a bit scary. I'm sceptical about it all, does anyone know a person its been done to?

Like you, I'm sceptical about it. I've always tended to side with psychologists like Nick Spanos, who argue that hypnosis is a special sort of role playing, in which the person is under such intense social pressure to 'play the part' that they not only do so on the outside, but also manage to convince themselves that they are 'really' hypnotised.

On the other hand, I 've hypnotised someone I know quite a few times and her reports of her experiences (nothing sexual!) do seem to fit in with it being a genuine trance state. I also find the great physicist Richard Feynman's account of his hypnosis a strong challenge to the 'role playing' theory.

Richard Hammond's performance didn't ring true for me, especially the 'instant sleep' thing. But that doesn't mean that it never exists in anyone.

Overall, I think hypnosis is one of the only 'phenomena' (unlike homeopathy, acupuncture, e.s.p., chiropractice, astrology etc) that the jury might still be out on.

Cliff