The mkiv Supra Owners Club

BDC 2010 Supra Build Thread......

Suprash

This is my Supra build thread for the 2010 British Drift Championship's :D finally we start.......

Due to the rebuild of the Nissan and the bad weather of late, this is starting to leave me with a very tight schedule, Round 1 at Silverstone is about 8 weeks away now....but lets start.

Car: Toyota Supra MKIV

Engine: NA-T

Transmission: R154

Diff: Welder :D for now...

Shocks: HKS Hypermax rears, fronts ?

Arms: Stock :D

Sponsors

Mechanics & Tuning by AFR Tuning

Bodywork by Smokers Motor Company

Areo by Knight-Racer

Associated Sponsor by MKIVSUPRA.NET

Well this started with finding a shell, this changed several times throughout the beginning of the year, but finally after seeing a choice of 2 shells, we picked a good one. She is a good clean base car, underside is very clean and doesnt even have the sills bent from mis-jacking.

All we have done so far is to just tidy everything up, which "Gav the Legend" has been a star with, that boy knows wires, he has removed all aftermarket wiring, which turned out to be a fair bit in the end and general sorting out like all the interior before she is sprayed.

Im just waiting for the Nissan to come back from being sprayed, but then after that she will go off. After that its probably cage and what ever else we can get done then, before engine and to make something that runs :D

I will be keeping a stock body look, stock rear, stocks skirts and stock front end with a lip. Im liking the black and white scheme at the moment after the Nissan, so Im sticking with black on white.

Im really looking forward to seeing this project take off after months of thinking am I doing the right thing. Building one car in between the season can be hard work, but to be doing two is really taking over my life, with money, schedules, plans and expectations, so firstly I would like to say a massive wet sloppy thanks to my gf for putting up with all this and the 2nd girl in my life, Gav :D To Matt at AFR who I know is busy as hell but always finds time to deal with me and to Marcus my body guy who has become a good mate.

But there was no Supra in last years BDC and I always said I would never stick with the Nissans as popular as they are, Im all Toyota and lots use old school toyota's, but Supra's are still few and far between. So being around these kneck of the woods for so long and owning a Supra for 8 years I took the Nissan accident as a window from fate lol, or was it self denial lol :D

So for 2010 I want to try and do us Supra owners proud, my finishes last year werent bad, I mean I thought I was just going to suck at competing, but last year I finished in the top 16 3 out of 4 races, the 5th I thought it more fun to throw the car down the road on its roof ol, but I started out better then I could have hoped for, but the season took its toll and I have learn a lot in whats needed to complete all 6 rounds and complete them well.

If anyone ever comes along, I will always try and take you out, its all very friendly and you have access to the pit area's all day, so can wander around and get close to the cars and everyone, the BDC has always prided itself as a family more then a competition, for a drivers championship its great, even to the point people give their cars to a friend who's is usually broke, but going as passenger its all very safe, with all cars meeting pro spec regulations this year for the first time and hell I'll try my hardest not to spin lol :D

We have a good line up for this year which Im massively looking forward to, some awsome tracks....

Round 1 – 10th/11th April Silverstone – Stowe Circuit

Round 2 – 22nd May Llandow Circuit - South Wales

Round 3 - 19th June Lydden Hill - Kent

Round 4 – 17th July

This venue is exclusive to the BDC in 2010 and has never been used for drifting in its history. The location of this event will be announced in due course.

Individual Top 32 Competition & Team Event 6/7/8th August (3 day drift extravaganza) Norfolk Arena - Kings Lynn

Round 5 The Final – 25/26th September Knockhill - Scotland

Edited by Suprash (see edit history)

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That is has been pushed back, various technical things have come up and we need to re-evaluate (basically I think I got some of the ideas wrong so going to rethink :))

Ahh right, have you seen the kits that drift works are selling for the s14 and s15's. Could these be modified to work with a supra

http://www.driftworks.com/catalog/products/driftworks-geomaster-race-hub-knuckles.html

Something like this.

I'll be looking to join you in 2010, I have been building a BDC supra 2JZ with single for the past 18 months.

I must try and get a build thread up

Would be interested to know what you are doing to increase lock?

I was going to do a clarkey style mod and shorten the arms on the hubs but am open to other ideas

I'll be looking to join you in 2010, I have been building a BDC supra 2JZ with single for the past 18 months.

I must try and get a build thread up

Would be interested to know what you are doing to increase lock?

I was going to do a clarkey style mod and shorten the arms on the hubs but am open to other ideas

18 months, wow :D, what power are you going for mate ?

Just gonna extend the rack out and remove the stock lock stops I believe, my engineering wizard friend reckons its possible :D

18 months, wow :D, what power are you going for mate ?

Just gonna extend the rack out and remove the stock lock stops I believe, my engineering wizard friend reckons its possible :D

The reason for the time taken is I have also taken on a project house, I also either need either some dry weather or to start and finish my new garage build :( .

I have a PT67 turbo :D good for 650 bhp I think, it might be abit laggy though. But i'll try it to start with.

What diff are you using, I went for a Kaaz 2 way fitted in an Jap spec turbo housing using Turbo shafts

The reason for the time taken is I have also taken on a project house, I also either need either some dry weather or to start and finish my new garage build :( .

I have a PT67 turbo :D good for 650 bhp I think, it might be abit laggy though. But i'll try it to start with.

What diff are you using, I went for a Kaaz 2 way fitted in an Jap spec turbo housing using Turbo shafts

What class licence holder are you mate? It all sounds very fancy...

I'm not sure I would ever pay out for a fancy 2way diff after buying one in my Nissan, I never noticed the difference and there is no need in spending for big power, anything over 400 I personally reckon isn't needed.

But I'll be running a welder, cheap, does the job and I can afford to break it lol, it's not like I'll be popping down the shops in it :D

What class licence holder are you mate? It all sounds very fancy...

I'm not sure I would ever pay out for a fancy 2way diff after buying one in my Nissan, I never noticed the difference and there is no need in spending for big power, anything over 400 I personally reckon isn't needed.

But I'll be running a welder, cheap, does the job and I can afford to break it lol, it's not like I'll be popping down the shops in it :D

The idea behind the supra was not meant to be at all fancy (i.e no bodykit ect) but adding the essentials we found you needed after running a car in EDC 2009 to produce as easy to drive competitive car. The idea was for a learner car for me to BDC and a standin car for the one below runnng in EDC/JDM.

I dont currently have a license, but I also Co-own this monster and have done a few drift days.

and co owned this, which we ran for a year in EDC 2009 and learnt a huge amount about drift set up.

http://lyndsay-jones.magix.net/mpfw01/10/34/70/77/30/8A7711DD8C457724521E5DE2/347077308A7711DD8A55E62B521E5DE2.jpg

http://lyndsay-jones.magix.net/mpfw01/10/39/4B/24/30/8A7711DD8B9CCB6C521E5DE2/394B24308A7711DDBFB5752F521E5DE2.jpg

We tried a welder in the s13 and although fine for messing about in it wasn't competitive as we found it caused understeer.

After we fitted the two way it was easier to have confidence and we did alot better (i.e much faster). The picture above is Knockhill with the welder fitted approx 90 mph

Sounds interesting mate ;)

All I can hope for at the moment is too build a fairly stockish and running Supra. Any development work will be done throughout the year as I progress, the winter months are just flying past and still reckon in my class a stock Supra is still easily competitive, however I do agree about the welder being a limit and high speed, but in all fairness Im still progressing up to the higher speeds, which I have felt I have always struggled with in the Nissan, I think I will be able to make that step up easier in the Supra, I just feel so much more at home in a Supra after owning one for 8 years. Yes my Nissan was more built, but Im happy to take the trade off of a big parts list to finally be in the car I have said I would always get.

Plus I feel with the car in a more stock trim I can progress with the car better, I wouldnt want to step right into a fully built car with endless amounts of horses available, I reckon the car would outstrip my skill, but Im still confident for this year. I dont ok in the 4 rounds I completed in the semi-pro class last year with 3 out of 4 top 16 finishes, considering my length of time that I have been drifting and the fact that was my fist year competing Im still happy.

I would be interested to talk to you though about a good setup if you could spare some time.

Good luck for the future though, will keep an eye out for you though and come and say hi :D

So who's gonna be the driver ? Which Championship and class will they compete in ?

Edited by Suprash (see edit history)

Sounds interesting mate ;)

All I can hope for at the moment is too build a fairly stockish and running Supra. Any development work will be done throughout the year as I progress, the winter months are just flying past and still reckon in my class a stock Supra is still easily competitive, however I do agree about the welder being a limit and high speed, but in all fairness Im still progressing up to the higher speeds, which I have felt I have always struggled with in the Nissan, I think I will be able to make that step up easier in the Supra, I just feel so much more at home in a Supra after owning one for 8 years. Yes my Nissan was more built, but Im happy to take the trade off of a big parts list to finally be in the car I have said I would always get.

Plus I feel with the car in a more stock trim I can progress with the car better, I wouldnt want to step right into a fully built car with endless amounts of horses available, I reckon the car would outstrip my skill, but Im still confident for this year. I dont ok in the 4 rounds I completed in the semi-pro class last year with 3 out of 4 top 16 finishes, considering my length of time that I have been drifting and the fact that was my fist year competing Im still happy.

I would be interested to talk to you though about a good setup if you could spare some time.

Good luck for the future though, will keep an eye out for you though and come and say hi :D

So who's gonna be the driver ? Which Championship and class will they compete in ?

Should be good an TBH if I had not bought my car in bits I would have done the minimum to it just to get it on track and have some fun with it.

As for driver and championship sorry I cant say other than I really want to do BDC in a car.

Feel free to PM me even the geometry we learnt might be useful as a starting point for you.

If you haven't got the cage sorted yet and can weld fabricage do a good weld in cage kit that isnt expensive :)

Should be good an TBH if I had not bought my car in bits I would have done the minimum to it just to get it on track and have some fun with it.

As for driver and championship sorry I cant say other than I really want to do BDC in a car.

Feel free to PM me even the geometry we learnt might be useful as a starting point for you.

If you haven't got the cage sorted yet and can weld fabricage do a good weld in cage kit that isnt expensive :)

Yeah I'm sorting a cage at the moment, hopefully Mr Chunk is sorting me out with something, otherwise Fabricage will be my next option I think.

Will PM you soon and discuss geometry, once I have a running car hopefully in about 3 weeks time lol :D

• 2 weeks later...

Well I dropped the Supra off to be sprayed last weekend, Marcus my spray guy has been hard at work sanding her down, so for now we have some in progress shots. She should be started to be sprayed today and should be fully complete sometime over the weekend.....:D Then its off to Matt at AFR to get the engine swap complete.....Good times :D

GetAttachment.jpg

GetAttachment1.jpg

GetAttachment2.jpg

GetAttachment3.jpg

GetAttachment4.jpg

GetAttachment5.jpg

GetAttachment6.jpg

GetAttachment7.jpg

GetAttachment8.jpg