The mkiv Supra Owners Club

5 speed manual

jay5041

Hi people i current have a Supra NA auto but would like to convert it next month to a 5 speed manual. Does anyone know the rough price of doing this??

I know people will tell me to sell but im too attached :) so thats not an option.

I would probably be going down the TT route eventually so this is a nice halfway point i think.

Have a look at this thread for a better view about the w58!

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?t=207613

It seems if you change the oils regular and dont go around doing burnouts, harsh gear changes etc you should see a respectable level from the w58!

I was going to sell my car and buy a TT also, being in your situation also of being to attached and reading that thread made my mind up and I decided to keep the old girl!

Just killing myself at work atm doing all the overtime i can to get the money together for the TT conversion kit :D

Depends on the cost I guess (for the W58).

I'd opt for either the R154 or just keep saving and go for a V160/161. The only thing doing that is that going for a costly gearbox conversion AND a TT conversion is going to exceed the cost of just buying a 6 speed TT - especially when factoring in cost of buying the car too.

It all depends on final intentions though! I eventually want big power so bought a NA-TT 5 speed so only need the gearbox and so it will work out the same as buying a TT6 in the first place, just with the cost spread over a while :lol:

Just something to keep in mind! :)

just with the cost spread over a while :lol:

This is another reason as to why i got an NA instead of a TT outright!

I'm crap at saving, and the money would burn a hole in my pocket! I'm ok for a grand or two but after that i start thinking holidays abroad! lol

If you go down the tt route then fitting the 5 speed will be a waste of time unless you go 154 box instead.

I have my supra for around a year running 1.1bar most of the times on the w58 and i have nothing to say.

the previous owner had the TT conversion done and running with the same box.

i think it will break if you are a complete animal all the time with your car. like saxo boys :)

just made a trip of 3400km and a few runs off 150+ mph.

(the box is still alive) :D

If you're planning on staying NA the conversion is quite easy and very cheap. You'll only need the gearbox, prop, pedals, clutch master/slave from a manual to convert. Plus the trans tunnel plate from Toyota.

I managed to do do mine (DIY) for about £400, though that involved stripping a scrapped supra of the parts myself.

Keron would be a good point of contact. Also worth trying dude @ AFR but I don't know if they stock 5spd kits.

If you plan on going TT in future then it's a good time to make other upgrades, so consider the long term first.

do you know if there is any kit to rebuilt the w58 to be as good as the r154 box or even better?

There are aftermarket kits out there, but with the costs involved to rebuild I cannot imagine it's financially viable. R154 and associated parts will cost around £1k to install.

There are aftermarket kits out there, but with the costs involved to rebuild I cannot imagine it's financially viable. R154 and associated parts will cost around £1k to install.

thanks

just in case the box give up I'm not very inclined to pay nearly 4k for an 6 speed.

I would prefer to pay 1.5/2k to get the w58 bullet proof.

thanks

just in case the box give up I'm not very inclined to pay nearly 4k for an 6 speed.

I would prefer to pay 1.5/2k to get the w58 bullet proof.

I can't remember the exact details, but when I was reading up on it a W58 rebuild was generally more than the cost of a V160/V161. R154 is the way to go if you want something that can handle big power 'on the cheap'.

Wouldnt touch them with a barge pole :scare:

Keron or Dude :thumbs:

You'll love the 5speed on the NA, i dont think i could cope with an auto NA, let us know who you decide to go with :)

I dont think they have ever fitted a Soarer engine to a supra.

But if one of them wants to pm me im sure to take note.