The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Turbo lag, is it such a big deal?

JamieP

Im starting to think not, seems we are a bit brain washed in this forum that super fast spooling is the place to be.

When im going for a cruise fast spooling or slow spooling will not bother me either way.

And when im on the boil my rev counter only stays in the very top bit of the rev range where all the power is no matter what turbo i was to have.

I read a lot on the yank supraforum and to and extent (unless we are talking T6 GT55) they never mention it, i believe they are a long way ahead of us in tuning these cars, you only have to look at there drag thread to see that our fastest car would not even make the top 50 over there:D

The other thing is how far a stock engine will be pushed, when i first joined all i ever read is dont go over 1.4bar or the car will explode:D well im a long way past that now (1.9bar and 27degree timing on bp pump fuel) and all still seems good, im now very tempted to push the revs higher, i read thread after thread where people are running stock engines to 8000rpm, i was watching some videos on youtube last night where a guy was running a 71mm turbo and reving to 8000rpm on a stock engine, we are scared to go past 7200rpm, i mean has anyone in the uk ever snapped a rod or rod bolt? not that ive seen, i just think we are a load of pussys. next time Ryan is doing some mapping for me im going to up the rev limit.

Thoughts?:D

Edited by JamieP (see edit history)

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are they reading the RPM from the inaccurate stock gauge or from ECU logs? I use to run a 8000rpm rev limit but turned it down again, this was after the installation of the HKS cams as power kept rising so we upped the limit to take advantage :D

Isnt the weakest link the stock bolt/pin, I am sure Tony (TLicense) has would have some great input here.

Are they reading the RPM from the inaccurate stock gauge or from ECU logs? I use to run a 8000rpm rev limit but turned it down again, this was after the installation of the HKS cams as power kept rising so we upped the limit to take advantage :D

Isnt the weakest link the stock bolt/pin, I am sure Tony (TLicense) has would have some great input here.

Dunno mate, rev counter maybe, still a long way past what we are doing, how long did you run a 8000rpm limit for?

Dunno mate, rev counter maybe, still a long way past what we are doing, how long did you run a 8000rpm limit for?

About 6 months, various drag launches and bouncing off the limiter between gear changes etc, I am not recommending it though :innocent:

When im going for a cruise fast spooling or slow spooling will not bother me either way.

And when im on the boil my rev counter only stays in the very top bit of the rev range where all the power is no matter what turbo i was to have.

Couple of things come to mind.

1) where do you drive, on a race track or on public roads, if on a racetrack then your comment on being on the boil resonates well.

2) I tend to drive the car normally and that certainly requires a bit more poke then when cruising while not completely revving the nuts off the car....so in my opinion, a quick spool turbo is essential for my "normal" public road driving.

1) where do you drive, on a race track or on public roads, if on a racetrack then your comment on being on the boil resonates well.

2) I tend to drive the car normally and that certainly requires a bit more poke then when cruising while not completely revving the nuts off the car....so in my opinion, a quick spool turbo is essential for my "normal" public road driving.

Is yours an Auto?

1. 99% on the road, i dont want this to get into a "dont speed on public roads thread" tbh mate, we all do it, those that say they never speed on the road dont play with themselves either im sure. :D

2. You live in London though and fast spooling might be handy for you, i bet you dont get out of second gear much.

If the power is still up there then that's great. Would not see the point if the power curve drops after the stock limit. Or is it that you find it annoying with the limiter cutting in when you don't want it too?

These engines are strong but the odd one will give up. A true testament of how strong the 2jz series are with steve running a T88 on a N/A engine with a tt head. Last time i was in his car it had done quite a few thousand miles without any agro and was upping the boost again after.

I ran a T88 on the JUN built and stroked RB26 engine and I know this is a bit of a dinosaur now but when the power came on it was in a big 700 BHP lump, the problem was as you point out you need the ability to rev higher to get the best out of a big turbo or perhaps the benifit of a 3.2 stroker ?

I did find with every step up in power you crave more very soon after :)

tbh mate, we all do it, those that say they never speed on the road, dont play with themselves either im sure. :D

I have to admit it Jamie - I do, although I'm ashamed to admit it in public and have tried to rid myself of the beastly habit, I just can't help it :(

I thought at my advanced years I would have put it behind me, but then, almost without a thought I find myself doing it again.

It's all going to end up in a messy end for me I'm sure :blink:

I must try not to speed :)

G

PS: my advice to you (as it's your money) go for it :-)

1. 99% on the road, i dont want this to get into a "dont speed on public roads thread" tbh mate, we all do it, .

I'm not going to deny it, although i'm much better these days as ;

A) I don't have a Supra

B) I have 11 points on my license

If you're not TOO fussed about lunching your engine, why not try going for 1000hp on the stock lump. Would be quite an achievement (if/while it lasts).

How do you think the car will cope with another 200-300hp hike though? Surely the diff, drive shafts etc would have to be considered consumables with another great hike in torque?

Oh and if you want to experience some real turbo lag try driving an old Saab or Volvo turbo. Quite quick cars 'while you're on it' but overtaking can be a nightmare.

Edited by j_jza80 (see edit history)

I'm not going to deny it, although i'm much better these days as ;

A) I don't have a Supra

B) I have 11 points on my license

If you're not TOO fussed about lunching your engine, why not try going for 1000hp on the stock lump. Would be quite an achievement (if/while it lasts).

How do you think the car will cope with another 200-300hp hike though? Surely the diff, drive shafts etc would have to be considered consumables with another great hike in torque?

Is a true 1000 bhp possible on BP pump fuel and a 3 litre stock engine ?

Is a true 1000 bhp possible on BP pump fuel and a 3 litre stock engine ?

I'm not sure. I've heard that a few Yanks have managed 1000hp on the standard engine but there was no mention of the fuel used. Possibly with a larger turbo (GT45?) or maybe even twins (GT30), more extreme fuel setup and a raised rev limit.

Would be exciting finding out though.

Edited by j_jza80 (see edit history)