The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Front end lose?

JamieP

Got a problem with the car, i hit a small ridge in the road and its as if the front end steps over a couple of inch, feels very odd, ive booked to car into wheels in motion for friday afternoon to see if they can find anything, any ideas where to start? or anyone had a similar problem?

Im not sure the car has ever felt right since going full powerflex bushes, the front just dont feel planted anymore, tempted to go back to new oem everything.

Edited by JamieP (see edit history)

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I take it theres no clunks or nocks or steering vibrations, does the car drive straight under power and under braking ?

So many things could be wrong so impossible to diagnose really untill WIM get a good look at it and check everything.

If the steerings not straight you could have bent something but surely youd know if youd done that, i hit a pot hole the other night in my beema and its done a tyre but luckily not bent anything or knocked the track out of line, i was supprised as it was a heafty bang and my BMW's on low profile tyres so no proctection from big sidewalls

Edited by Dnk (see edit history)

I take it theres no clunks or nocks or steering vibrations, does the car drive straight under power and under braking ?

So many things could be wrong so impossible to diagnose really untill WIM get a good look at it and check everything.

It does have a bit of a clonk yes, only noticed it since fitting my cw suspension, i wonder if it could be a dodgy shock, how do i test if a shock is all good?

Edited by JamieP (see edit history)

It does have a bit of a clonk yes, only noticed it since fitting my cw suspension, i wonder if it could be a dodgy shock, how do i test if a shock is all good?

When one of my shocks went it was very obvious as it made a right racket when moving up and down, im sure WIM will find it if it has gone, just give them as much info as possible to find your drama.

Not sure if you could do the simple bounce test on your car as its possibly on quite firm springs ? on general run of the mill cars you can push down on the corner your checking and see how the shock controls how quickly the car settles, do it on each corner and if a shocks gone that corner carries on bouncing

Ok thanks, lets see what happens friday.

Anyone got a parts list to replace all the arms and bushes over to oem?

Speak to Steve Manley, i got all mine from him and didnt need part numbers just told him what i wanted.

The main parts will be easy as its just the upper and lower wishbones on each corner, so you'll have 8 wishbones in total, as for the rest of the parts it depends how far you want to go.

What state were your eccentric adjusters in along with all the rest of the nuts bolts and washers ?

I changed all mine as most werent in the greatest of condition but im guessing if youve had a pollybush kit fitted yours must be okay ?

If your not happy have a word with Paul, he races and really understands handling and geometry a lot of race cars come to him for set up.

Thats the thing mate, i dont want a race car, just want it to drive like stock with just a slightly firmer ride.

Not joking here but could the power you run, and you do drive it hard a lot have caused any movement in the alignment of the car chassis or set up I wonder

I doubt it, its more likely a pothole has bent or broken something id guess.

Ive not cut any corners yet so may as well go the whole hog

How about the Ikeya Formula parts? They use spherical bearings similar to the stock arms, but allow a greater degree of adjustability which could be useful with you running bigger wheels.

Either way I think you'll notice a massive difference in grip and handling. Ian did a good write up HERE after overhauling his suspension with new OEM parts.

http://img149.imageshack.us/img149/2278/1bn8.jpg http://img148.imageshack.us/img148/9831/2ut1.jpg http://img167.imageshack.us/img167/7752/3dg5.jpg http://img116.imageshack.us/img116/5337/4hr7.jpg http://img116.imageshack.us/img116/8627/6zy1.jpg http://img159.imageshack.us/img159/2518/7ub1.jpg http://img112.imageshack.us/img112/562/8vk4.jpg

most likely jamie your tracking is gone. no biggie, my tracking used to slip exactly like what you have described thanks to central londons pot holes. if you broken something then the steering wheel would shake so i dont think its anything to be worried about. get your wheels balanced again and your tracking and it will fix it, has happened to me loads of times.

Regarding the powerlex bushes, it's interesting that you say it hasn't felt right since you installed them. CW always maintained that the stock suspension wasn't just some simple rubber bushing like in bost boggo cars, it was in fact trick stuff and better than polybushes by far. Perhaps you are finally vindicating him :) Your findings after getting new stock suspension fitted will be most welcome, and I know you aren't the type to say something is better just because you spent money on it.

-Ian

Regarding the powerlex bushes, it's interesting that you say it hasn't felt right since you installed them. CW always maintained that the stock suspension wasn't just some simple rubber bushing like in bost boggo cars, it was in fact trick stuff and better than polybushes by far. Perhaps you are finally vindicating him :) Your findings after getting new stock suspension fitted will be most welcome, and I know you aren't the type to say something is better just because you spent money on it.

-Ian

The top rear arms have spherical bearings in. I'm 99% certain the rest are just bushes. Also, the pre facelift bushed arms use a stiffer elastomer than the facelift ones.

Edit: Jamie - I have some prices here from Whifbitz for a couple of arms and several adjusters/bolts that I need. Once you get a reply from Steve we could do a compare as Paul may be a little cheaper than Steve.

Edited by dandan (see edit history)