The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Na--- twin turbo conversion

MattP

was waiting for that reply lol im not allowed to sell the n/a the wifey says so she claims its to pretty cant argue with that

Show her cost of conversion + insurance increase

Then show her how much you can sell your N/A for, cost of TT and cost of it's insurance.

Let me know which you find is cheaper :)

A shrink.

Unless your car has some great mods to the body, or is an aero top, sell it and buy a TT it will be cheaper in the long run.

How come?

Thought there was a good amount of people that had done the conversion, I've not heard any body problems before. Infact i thought the bodys were the same? :search:

How come?

Thought there was a good amount of people that had done the conversion, I've not heard any body problems before. Infact i thought the bodys were the same? :search:

I think what he meant was by the time you took into account the cost for all the parts needed and then the cost of fitting it could well work out cheaper to sell the NA and buy a ready made TT.

Also, you have to remember that the converted NA will be worth much less than an original TT and so the sell on value will reflect this.

I think what he meant was by the time you took into account the cost for all the parts needed and then the cost of fitting it could well work out cheaper to sell the NA and buy a ready made TT.

Also, you have to remember that the converted NA will be worth much less than an original TT and so the sell on value will reflect this.

Yep. Cost & grief.

Not only value, fun with the DVLA I bet and any car you tell your insurers you've changed the engine on I bet bumps your premium by a good % (I could well be wrong - I haven't fully investigated).

I know ideal world sell and buy a TT, but i payed under 3K for my car to start with about a year ago. She is in good condition but certainly not great by the standards i see on here. If i was lucky i might get 2.5k for her.

Run with me for a moment; if i somehow managed to find 2.5k under the sofa, that with any luck would be enough to get me a TT transplant with all the goodies (i think! I could be wrong on that figure). But i dont think the possible 5K i would have from selling my car and turning out the sofa would get me a TT in the same condition with an engine from one of the fine engineers on here.

Just throwing this one out there as the price of n/a cars is getting so low.

I know ideal world sell and buy a TT, but i payed under 3K for my car to start with about a year ago. She is in good condition but certainly not great by the standards i see on here. If i was lucky i might get 2.5k for her.

Run with me for a moment; if i somehow managed to find 2.5k under the sofa, that with any luck would be enough to get me a TT transplant with all the goodies (i think! I could be wrong on that figure). But i dont think the possible 5K i would have from selling my car and turning out the sofa would get me a TT in the same condition with an engine from one of the fine engineers on here.

Just throwing this one out there as the price of n/a cars is getting so low.

I agree. I think if you use a good condition engine for the transplant and you have a very clean looked after shell you could get a profit, thats if you even want to sell it, some of the N/As on here look great and are screaming out for a conversion. Admitted if you want to go down the best route, you would need the 6 speed box and the diff or the auto box, but thats where the cost gets alot higher. Reading on here, you can run the 5 speed box to good power levels. :)

I think just short of 3k gets you the conversion and a front mount. Thats pretty cheep if you ask me. :innocent:

I am glad I went for the TT conversion.

I now have a motor that has done 40,000KM less my my NA.

As for insurance, an extra £95 a year doesn't really break the bank.

For me, the NA-TT was the best option as we have to pay over £1,200 import duty on cars into the islands so that would be an added expense on top of buying a TT and making a loss on my NA when I sold it.

I took the option to go for an NA-TT and paid an extra couple of hundred quid shipping it to the UK and back again.

The car runs like a dream. So glad I went through with it.

I am glad I went for the TT conversion.

I now have a motor that has done 40,000KM less my my NA.

As for insurance, an extra £95 a year doesn't really break the bank.

For me, the NA-TT was the best option as we have to pay over £1,200 import duty on cars into the islands so that would be an added expense on top of buying a TT and making a loss on my NA when I sold it.

I took the option to go for an NA-TT and paid an extra couple of hundred quid shipping it to the UK and back again.

The car runs like a dream. So glad I went through with it.

This is a good reason to go N/A TT route.

IMO a standard n/a auto to TT auto will cost 2.5k + the cost of another autobox. £2700 ish.

Even if you got a n/a in good shape for 2.5k add that to the 2.7 your looking 5.2ish thats TT money these days. However thats without all the BPU bits.

Maybe a 5 speed would be worth doing

insurance increase of £45.97 i have had the car 1 year and a bit as i swapped my mr2 turbo for it just before i turned 18 since then i have had the car reprayed and lots of carbon fibre goodies added its has m.o.t and is in good body and mechanical condition granted i could sell it and buy another but then i might inherit problems with my car i know whats what and i simply wish to convert it it will be a learning curve perhaps i have the rest of my life to be sensible :)

that aside im to speak to this keron chap correct?

insurance increase of £45.97 i have had the car 1 year and a bit as i swapped my mr2 turbo for it just before i turned 18 since then i have had the car reprayed and lots of carbon fibre goodies added its has m.o.t and is in good body and mechanical condition granted i could sell it and buy another but then i might inherit problems with my car i know whats what and i simply wish to convert it it will be a learning curve perhaps i have the rest of my life to be sensible :)

At the bottom of the keyboard you will find a key with . on it - you may want to consider using it sometimes to let others understand your post more easily :)

See now your making the right noises,

Respray, Body mods. hence it might be worth dropping the lump in.