The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Anyone got a RPS Carbon-Carbon Twin Disc Clutch?

JamieP

Wasnt the failures on the RPS CC's down to the crappy strap/strapless design? :shrug:

Speaking to Dusty and this problem was sorted, ive gone with the RPS CC.

From what ive read the carbonetic is very expensive to rebuild, almost the cost of a new clutch.

Ok, well for that budget you can get the best.

I wish we could talk, its quicker to explain. I'll summarize as best I can:

The old version of the RPS used an OEM pressure plate, highly modified of course. MOST clutches still use this to this day. RPS is one of very few to solve this.

This old version (i.e. OEM pressure plate) used heat-tread OEM straps on the pressure plate to hold more torque. These straps, under rare/extreme conditions (I can explain further if you like) would snap, breaking the clutch and sometimes the transmission.

RPS 2 years ago recognized this as a problem and did what no other clutch company has done - they re engineered their pressure plate from the ground up.

Result: Non-OEM 100% new 100% billet strapless pressure plate.

Bottom line: No more horror stories, no more failures

I personally use the RPS in both my Supras (twin in one, triple in my other) and my girlfriend even uses a twin, that's how easy they are to drive.

I give RPS (the company) my strongest recommendation as they innovate instead of ignore.

I give this clutch my highest recommendation for ease-of-driving, longevity, and ability to rebuild to 100% new should that day ever come.

If you want another brand, no problem. But I wanted to make sure you knew RPS solved that big failure. A lot of people still are not aware of this 2 years later (marketing failure by RPS I think...too busy making new parts haha!).

Thanks,

Dusty

Edited by JamieP (see edit history)

I ordered the rps last night, Paul if you was running one 3 years ago that would have been the old type one Dusty mentions, no reported failures since the upgrade.

Yep, mine was about 7 years old, hopefully they've sorted the problems out now. I just know the Carbonetic's work and they are a quality product, not trying to sell you it, just my experience with them.

• 6 months later...