The mkiv Supra Owners Club

NA clutch upgrade?

pedrosixfour

Hey folks,

Had my first track day of the year on Saturday. The weather was perfect, cold and dry so I set off around Mondello with the bit between my teeth to do some final ratio testing.

20 minutes later I'm getting the distinct smell of an upset clutch with the rev needle darting around the dial everytime I planted my foot in fourth and all the while the speedo needle showed very little interest.

Now for whatever reason after I let it rest for a half hour or so it performed well for the rest of the day with no bad slippage noticed provided the gear change ups were a gentle affair.

So what if any is a good upgrade for my shagged NA clutch in my track day SZ-R.

I found this deal while I was doing a bit of searching:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120313322392&viewitem=

Can anyone shed some light on the pros and cons of such a setup or have any comment on the components?

The lightweight flywheel I think would compliment the 4.27 final drive I've my sights set on.

Regards,

Damien.

Yeah, I wouldn't put any stock in power claims but I know Fidanza is a popular upgrade in Honda land so I wouldn't be very nervous of it.

Nic seems to rate Exedy clutches, whether he knows of this particlar item though is not a given.

It does look like a good deal though (apart from shipping of course), almost too good to be true?

• 3 weeks later...

Well the Fidanza flywheel and Spec clutch are now securely located between tranny and motor as of yesterday.

No great story to go with the swap, no disasters or unexpected finds. Could have done a rear crankshaft seal swap while it was accessible but it was barely weeping so I'm not too concerned.

The OEM clutch was definitely the problem as the friction plate was down to the rivets.

The weight difference between the two flywheels is fairly substantial. The new item weighs 4.5kg I'm sure the stock one is close to double that. I'll get a definite weight and submit it to Miko's tech thread.

Only drove it around the yard after finishing last night so it all still needs bedding in but my God there is a total transformation in the manners of the clutch. Its not vicious in it's engagement but the biting point is very defined. There is no real progression, it just bites and you're away. I've never experienced anything other than stock clutches before but I think its great! Should suit my needs down to the ground.

Now to get my 4.27 final drive shipped soon and worry some much bigger lumps around Mondello in March.

Man I love this shit!