The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Anyone currently using Michelin/Bridgestone tyres on a turbo Supra?

Gaz6002

As per the title, I'm going through the extremely hard decision of buying new rubber for the back of the Supe, because I don't want R888s any more and can't get the F1s I used to have.

I'm after dry grip, but some type of decent water dispersal system is a must and they have to be able to perform on track.

So far I've narrowed it down to Michelin Pilot Sport, Bridgestone SO-2 or Toyo T1-R.

I've seen Jamie's thread, but also wondered if anyone else had an opinion, because I just can't believe the Michelin doesn't perform at least as well as the Toyo, judging by price and quality.

For reference, I'll be using 265/35/18.

Any other options are welcome :)

I am running pretty close to stock maybe a little more and i had Pilot Sports all round when i bought my new wheels and to be honest i dont think they are any good whatsoever for the money you pay for them i couldn't even plant it from a standing start without them losing grip!

Ive heard the "Cup" version of them is better but i cant comment as ive not had them!

In the end i changed the rears to Falkens as it was between the Toyo's or them and i went with the Falkens and i quite like them but like i say im not running loads of horses :)

I was running Michelin Pilot Sport tires (street tires) some years back.

The grip is very nice on dry road. However, they were not great on the wet road.

The reason I am not using the Michelin Pilot Sports for the moment is first the high price, and second I only drive on dry road so I opted for semi-slicks.

I am running pretty close to stock maybe a little more and i had Pilot Sports all round when i bought my new wheels and to be honest i dont think they are any good whatsoever for the money you pay for them i couldn't even plant it from a standing start without them losing grip!

Ive heard the "Cup" version of them is better but i cant comment as ive not had them!

In the end i changed the rears to Falkens as it was between the Toyo's or them and i went with the Falkens and i quite like them but like i say im not running loads of horses :)

Cool, thanks mate.

Pilot sport cups are supposed to be very good, I think CW uses them as they are more trackday biased.

Failing that the T1R are supposed to be OK, I didnt think you could get SO2s anymore.

I've found you can get them in 265/35/18s on special order, they fit them to the DB7 so Bridgestone will still make them. Any reviews on these?

I was running Michelin Pilot Sport tires (street tires) some years back.

The grip is very nice on dry road. However, they were not great on the wet road.

The reason I am not using the Michelin Pilot Sports for the moment is first the high price, and second I only drive on dry road so I opted for semi-slicks.

I've found them for around £180 per tyre here in the UK... I didn't think that was too high compared to others?

GrahamS and I both ran mich. Pilot Sports and found them a lot nicer than GSDs, but they weren't cheap.

Interesting, because I used to swear by GSD3s on all of my cars. In which way were they better?

I am running Michelin PS2's all round on mine. The wear rate is very impressive, all round performance I cannot fault to any extent and its also one of the quietest tyres due to the tread design.

I don't really rate Bridgestones in general, whilst they are a good respectable tyre, I find them to perform better on some cars than others.

Toyo's, the likes if the T1R etc I don't rate due to minimalist wear rate and the performance, from my experience isn't above that if the Michelin Pilot Sports.

I do drive a number of cars and am in the trade and to be honest my choice is always Michelin Pilot Sport, Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymetric and Continental Sport Contact consistently.

GrahamS and I both ran mich. Pilot Sports and found them a lot nicer than GSDs, but they weren't cheap.

Ditto. Found dry grip a bit better than the GSDs. Eventually went to Conti sport contact 2's because of the Michi prices. Contis didn't give as good dry grip, wet grip was as good if not better and they were more durable.

Now running F1's myself, appear to be ok and good life.

My thread was a bit of a harsh comparison, id say they grip better than the falken 452 that i have all round at the min (just on for the winter) everything i have tried has been poor compared to R888's though, one day when im feeling rich i might try some cups but until then ill stick to R888's

Interesting, because I used to swear by GSD3s on all of my cars. In which way were they better?

By no means a scientific test, but we both had a set of GSD3s, I had worn my rears out, no big surprise, and he needed a set for MOT. So I bought two sets. On the NA I didn't notice a huge amount of difference, but on his UK 6spd it seemed to have so much more bite and less slip on acceleration.

Edited by JustGav (see edit history)

OK, Michelins appear to be in the lead right now.

Two questions: does anyone have experience of the Bridgestone SO2, and does anyone know where I could find a set of Goodyear F1 GSD3s in 265/35/18?

Try http://www.mytyres.co.uk to see if they are available in that size.

I know the Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymetric is available in that size. I personally favour the Eagle F1 Asymetric and currently have these on test on my Volvo T5 and so far, very impressed, just seems like a more refined version of the GSD3 and also I personally favour asymteric over directionals.

Years ago, I used to run Bridgetsone SO2's on a number of performance cars. Whilst they performed well, they wore very quickly and the more worn they got the performance tailed off drastically. As a result, for years I have favoured the Goodyear F1's, consistent reliable performance, good price, good wear rates, good performance upto the 1.6mm tread depth limit.

I actualy thought these tyres were never re released since the recall a few years ago.

Apparently the odd few that were sold in the states and japan were recalled due to tread issue, apparently the thread turned to chewing gum after a while :blink:

Why is that?

I'm planning on using my car a lot, and over prolonged periods of time in less than ideal conditions.

The R888 is too extreme for a road car IMO... On track it's great, IF the track is dry and temps are over 10 degree centipede. However, I'm buying a car specifically for the track (well, rally stage) and so I want something that will give me GT levels of driveability without too much compromise. When I bought my Supra the mantra was: a road car which can drive to a track, scare the shit out of my passengers, then drive home again. I'm agonisingly close now, and rubber is a very important factor in building such a car.

By no means a scientific test, but we both had a set of GSD3s, I had worn my rears out, no big surprise, and he needed a set for MOT. So I bought two sets. On the NA I didn't notice a huge amount of difference, but on his UK 6spd it seemed to have so much more bite and less slip on acceleration.

Interesting, thanks for the info Gav :)

Try www.mytyres.co.uk to see if they are available in that size.

I know the Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymetric is available in that size. I personally favour the Eagle F1 Asymetric and currently have these on test on my Volvo T5 and so far, very impressed, just seems like a more refined version of the GSD3 and also I personally favour asymteric over directionals.

Years ago, I used to run Bridgetsone SO2's on a number of performance cars. Whilst they performed well, they wore very quickly and the more worn they got the performance tailed off drastically. As a result, for years I have favoured the Goodyear F1's, consistent reliable performance, good price, good wear rates, good performance upto the 1.6mm tread depth limit.

I certainly don't want to use the asymetric ones! I've heard nothing but bad news about them compared to the GSD3s. It seems a leap forward in technology isn't a leap forward in performance! :search:

I have noticed that Toyo now do another tire between the T1R and R888, the R1R, might be worth a try ;)

http://www.toyo.co.uk/productdetail.php?identity=products&product_id=67

My friend was trying to get me to try a set of these... but I'm not paying £500 for a set of rears for a road car, regardless of how they perform! My R888s were significantly less than that. :blink:

My friend was trying to get me to try a set of these... but I'm not paying £500 for a set of rears for a road car, regardless of how they perform! My R888s were significantly less than that. :blink:

Considering these are supposed to be a happy medium between the T1R and R888 you would think they are priced in that bracket, surely they can be had for less than that.

EDIT: just checked and in the US the first two sites price them between $190 to $200 for a stock 17" rear, trying to find a decent UK price :search:

Edited by Wez (see edit history)

From what I've read on the M3 forums the Michelin Pilot Sports and Pilot Sport 2's are very different tyres.

I've run Eagle F1's on my Supra previously and the PS' on the M3 had a lot less grip. I thought about moving to the PS2's as they had much better reviews but went Goodyear Asymetrics and have been very happy with them.