The mkiv Supra Owners Club

5 speed LSD Diff!

RobD

On my VIN plate my diff is apparently a LSD (A01B).

But after having my car on the ramp and spinning the wheels, my wheels spin the opposite way! Surely if its an LSD the would spin the same way!?

Spoke to Dave on saturday ( Supraloopy) and he was saying that he had a members car that had supposedly a LSD diff fitted to it and that he done the same as me ( span the wheels) to find they rotated the opposite way, he said he weren't to sure but thinks they maybe LSD diffs just spin the opposite way some how!

He also said to check just burn the rears up and see if you have two tyre marks instead of one! :D (Blokes a legend!) But i've tried and it doesn't leave tyre marks the way i do it and i'm not that confident to hang on the brakes at the same time so it does a standing burnout!

Has anyone else ever come accross this? I need to sort this out as i've changed the oil in the diff and not thinking its an LSD diff i've put non LSD oil in her! Obviously i don't want my diff going wrong so i need to know if it is/isnt an LSD diff!

No Supra has an LSD!!!!! S you dont need to worry about the oil, ordinary 75/90 will be fine and spinning the wheels with the car in the air won't tell you anything either, you need to try and see if it leaves 2 black lines.......must try harder!!:search:

No Supra has an LSD!!!!! S you dont need to worry about the oil, ordinary 75/90 will be fine and spinning the wheels with the car in the air won't tell you anything either, you need to try and see if it leaves 2 black lines.......must try harder!!:search:

Thanks! :D

oh comeon its like 8 bolts and a twat from a hammer and its off! 2 minutes work! ;)

as dude said they all use the same oil type so that doesnt realy matter!

how did you get to work for toyota again? :p

They all look very similar unless you know What you are looking for.

he should know, he works for toyota ;)

i take it these diffs are TorSen as in torque sensing so you cant do the usual of jacking it up, only way to be certain is open it up.

FYI i have an NA LSD at work and when you spin one side the other spins the other way.

Theres alot of info on TorSen diffs on mx5 websites.

oh comeon its like 8 bolts and a twat from a hammer and its off! 2 minutes work! ;)

as dude said they all use the same oil type so that doesnt realy matter!

how did you get to work for toyota again? :p

he should know, he works for toyota ;)

Well i must be doing something right mate, when we was slow on work i still kept my job ;) :p

The diffs need to be under load to be affective am I right?

Correctomundo

I done the same test on a land cruiser and both wheels turned the same way! The foreman at my place seemed to be convinced that it was a non lsd type aswell! :rolleyes: I've never really had anything to do with diffs so its a little new to me! :D

Will take the car out tomorrow and give her a good burning! :D

Wheels spinning in opposite directions when the car is upheld on a ramp, dosnt mean anything. I have an LSD and during installation I did notice the same behavior too. But you can only talk about the spin when the wheels are under load! I am pretty sure that you have an LSD in your car form your axle code!

If you need any more information check my thread in here about an LSD installation, you might find some answers

http://mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?t=202553

Cheers

Edited by edinlexusV8 (see edit history)