The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Is this my ABS ECU? Help installing RLTC.

jevansio

Having trouble identifying the speed wires on my ABS when fitting a RLTC unit. Unless I have the totally wrong end of the stick I can't find any info anywhere that matches my setup.

Everyone has a 12pin & 26pin connector, I have 12pin & 22pin, my wire colours don't match any of the info either on here, on mkiv.com or in my manuals.

Am I being an idiot? Is this the ABS ECU? Tomorrow I'm just going to check each wire in turn while turing the wheels, but would appreciate if anyone has wiring diagrams or info that match my layout

attachment.php?attachmentid=104400&stc=1&d=1264870197

attachment.php?attachmentid=104401&stc=1&d=1264870197

attachment.php?attachmentid=104402&stc=1&d=1264870197

IMG_4784.jpg

IMG_4785.jpg

IMG_4786.jpg

I had this problem as mine is a facelift so the wire colours and positions were completely different, but that's a mid '96 - seems like it was all change again for 97+ as the notes I have completely fail to match up with the connectors you've got (mine was 26pin as well).

It was ages ago when I wired it up, all I remember is it taking three attempts to get it wired correctly :( The ABS sensor wires should be shielded though, if you open up the cable tidy sheath back far enough you should find them that way, albeit not which are which wheel.

-Ian

Yeah I looked at your thread and you had the 12 pin & 26 pin connector (pretty much like everyone else), mine is 12 pin & 22 pin.

I've gone back to basics and took the car out in the snow (it's a blessing for a change as it enables me to easily check the ABS :D)

With the plugs out I have no ABS, the car does a 4 wheel skid, with the plugs in I have ABS again. So that is def the ABS ECU & it must be getting wheel speeds from somewhere on those connections.

I have tried spinning the wheel & check with both a multimeter & the RLTC loom & diagnostic led and cannot get anything from any of them.

I'm going to take the car out for a run & get my lass to check them again (with all 4 wheels turning) to eliminate the fact I might be checking something wrong

Found this pic. So, wildly different then :rolleyes:

I wish I could remember how I eventually found the right wires.

Hold on, I seem to recall the wires are not only shielded but twisted together in their +ve/-ve pairs... Strip the black sheathing back to expose the loom more and you may well see some wire pairs are twisted together - they'll be your sensor wires.

-Ian

abs ecu II.jpg

Was that pic taken before you spliced into it Ian?

I've taken a small step forward, I've taken the car out & upto around 30mph, I got my lass to attach the red RLTC loom wire onto each pin on the small connector, 1st pin she tried we got a 30mph signal on input 4 on the RLTC logging software. Then the battery died on the laptop D

I'm charging it up now & will try again later.

I recheck the resistance on that pin again & I'm not getting 800-1200ohm, so I don't know whats going on there.

I will strip the loom back a bit further as you say Ian to see if I can see any twisted pairs of cable :)

Thanks for the help :thumbs:

I've quickly pulled some loom back & found 2 twisted pair cables, Phil advised me to check the wiring colour at the wheel & the front left was white & black, lo & behold two wires coming from the twisted pair cable are white & black :)

I don't think it'll be much longer before it's all figured out & I'll post the pinouts & wire colours for future facelifters who don't match the other pinouts :D