The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Supra Prices

BigT

I have been to look at a supra :D What is about the right price for them at the moment there seems to be loads of different prices in the autotrader :( the car is in mega good condition 94L J-Spec TT with a 6 speed manual aftermarket exhaust, alloys, filter. 37K miles. It is up for about 11K :) would yo say this is about right.

I almost bought a second car it was a white UK auto at £7995 last October in impeccable condition. He had to shift it as he had a bargain buy on a mitsi evo 5. £11k seems a bit much but the miles are good, the condition reflects these miles, and the fact its a manual helps. If its a trade car then that adds a bit to the cost because of warranties and services etc but seeing what some cars have been going for that seems a bit much. That said a car is worth what the purchaser is willing to pay for it.

Once again the price is as much as your willing to pay.

However despite what the Parker guides etc... say, the going rate seems 10K+ for a GOOD example with the mileage around that year.

Ya pays ya money, ya takes ya choice, then ya enjoy!

:D

Dave :flame Dev

Guest cptsideways

You really don't want to know what mint imports go for at the Southampton import auctions.

I was down there twice in the past week, frighteningly cheap, I'm very tempted if there are some more going through.

Guest cptsideways

Oh yeah,

Never assume because a car is priced high it's worth more....

If you assume so you are a car dealers best customer

You get what you pay for, most imports are not exactly 'mint'. Especially when it comes to powerful cars, that are likely to have been abused, and costly to repair.

And yes, there are some 'diamonds in the rough' but a cheap Supra bought by a someone with little knowledge of them is a big chance.

Guest cptsideways

When I mean mint i meant "Mint" like new, two of them TT's all standard too. Both made £4k'ish at that price I'd take the risk every day of the week.

Originally posted by cptsideways

When I mean mint i meant "Mint" like new, two of them TT's all standard too. Both made £4k'ish at that price I'd take the risk every day of the week.

The price of the mighty Supra varies so much! They are worth what someone is willing to pay for them. Current owners should just enjoy the car and not look into values too much.

A old friend of mine said a friend of his bought a manual TT for £4350 at the auction unregistered straight of the boat and I said I didn't believe him and it must have been a NA but maybe not then? I'm still waiting to see it as the guys not local.

What's it like down there cptsideway, are they accident repairs or very high miles?

Guest cptsideways

Most of the cars are very very tidy, I'd say about 70% are extremely good condition, the nips certainly do look after them ie all have recent tyres, clean, no damage etc, almost as new some cars.

However the rest are either bazzed up, boat damaged or complete ***tters, but you can avoid them.

If you are looking for something specific then you might struggle to find a good one unless its a 4x4 (millions of the things)

Last week there were some GT-S Skylines that were mint alongwith the TT's. Also some latest version Silvias Spec-R I think, some RX7's were knackered though.

Mileages are as rule between 70-100K KM's some very low mileage minters though.

The car is in loverley condition. Not that much service history with it though. Local Garage services and stuff. Think it was imported in 1999. It did have a gold inspection done on it when it was bought and it is all clear. But I suppose there will not be that much history with it been a import.

Originally posted by cptsideways

You really don't want to know what mint imports go for at the Southampton import auctions.

I was down there twice in the past week, frighteningly cheap, I'm very tempted if there are some more going through.

Only a fool would buy a car from the UK import auctions. None of them are 'mint' by a long shot.

Bri.

Originally posted by ThunDeR

Only a fool would buy a car from the UK import auctions. None of them are 'mint' by a long shot.

Bri.

i have no experience of car auctions of any sort, but i'm pretty sure that since these cars have arrived here they will be up for sale one way or another?

so either they are brought cheaply by Joe public with possibly a little work required or they are brought from a dealer a few months later with the tarting up done and a healthy profit margin whacked on top?

Normally if a cars so cheap it's a shitter! I'd prefer to spend a few grand more getting a good car, as you'd only end up renewing stuff on the cheap one.

Not allways the case, but mostly is.....Why would the seller sell so cheap, that UK car for £8k will be a right heap!

Paul

Guest cptsideways
Originally posted by ThunDeR

Bri.

I did'nt say all of them, but I have 15 years of car buying experience & can usually spot a duffer from 100 yards away.

I've just bought a car this week from there & yes its about as mint as you can get, all it needs is a little cleaning from the dust its gathered over the past few months.

Yes there are horror stories, but don't buy anything that looks even slightly iffy. I'd say about 80% of the cars are genuine, some better than others. Where do you think all the imports are coming from?

Your response is exactly why people get ripped off, why do you assume a good car has to be priced high?, I always decide what car to buy then go about looking for a good one at a good price, simple as that. Start from the wrong end & you'll get fleeced every time or make someone a handsome profit :D

If only a fool would buy from auction then all of my friends within the car trade are fools.

Mind you, they're not as big a fool as people who then pay top dollar to them for the same cars that they too could have bought at the auction.

If you honestly believe that every car that comes through the auction must be a duffer, then does that assume that all the J-specs on here are duffers? Where do you think these came from? And before someone tells me that they bought it from an importer and that he personally checks them all out prior to sending them over from Japan - then please wake up and smell the coffee! he buys them from the same sources that buy them on bloc and send them to our UK auction houses.

By the way, i too am one of the fools you described earler. I bought my car via an auction house. It was a TT, 28k miles on the clock (warranted) with a service history (albeit in Japanese) and i paid a damn sight less than the figures being bandied about by those purporting to be "in the know" when giving an opinion on the "whats my car worth" threads.

Actually I made that quote as I've imported a lot of cars myself, directly from the Japanese Auctions. These are the trustworthy auctions and I have a lot of experience in this. The UK import auctions are a shoddy affair full of dishonest cars......... funny that you never have proof of these cars grading when they were in Japan. Funny they have all their oil change stickers removed from the doorposts and all other service stickers removed. Also funny that they sell for cheaper in the UK with VAT and import duty paid and all other associated costs with shipping etc than I can buy one in Japan for ;)

Yes, I have checked out a few of these UK import auctions out of curiosity and noted all of the above and also witnessed a sorry bunch of cars in a sorry state.

There is a big difference between the auctions in Japan and the Import auctions in the UK. Leave well alone IMO......... you have been warned.