The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Which is worth more

jackso11

I am changing a few bits on my car here and there and was having a chat to one of my mates last night who is an automotive designer. We were talking about the value of supras and what adds value and what takes it away. Just wondered what your thoughts were on bodykits and is a supra worth more if it has a standard body, or does a nice kit (like oem skirts, trail rear and TS front for example) add any value?

Generally I don't think that kits really add value all too much.

Though, that depends on the quality of fitting, painting and of the actual moulding used!

For example, a replica setup (Do-Luck, Ridox, Bomex etc.) I wouldn't really think should command more, though same goes for a genuine one that has been bodged!

If, however, it was something like a genuine Top Secret GT300 then I'd deem that to be worthy of commanding a higher price.

It's difficult sometimes aswell, because - for instance - if you got a replica TRD widebody then you'd need to be paying out a lot for the bigger wheels and such. Also, there would be lots of add-ons (wings etc.) that I'd think should allow for a greater value.

I know I seem to be contradicting myself, but it's a bit awkward finding the line really :lol:

I suppose (as I said before) it'd be greatly influenced by quality of execution through all aspects that cover that.

:)

It's entirely subjective. For those people who prefer the stock look, then any bodykits would more than likely reduce the price they'd want to pay for a car. On the flip side, if your car has the look someone else likes, then it might be worth more to them.

Personally, I'd probably pay more for a completely unmolested, mint Supra, than a kitted out one.

Swings and roundabouts.

adding a kit is just a cosmetic change and not to everyones taste but if you want a kit add one its your car no one elses lol. for what i payed for mine i think i have increased the value dramatically as it was a heap when i first bought it.

i think they look awesome standard especially a mint one but i like modified ones its my personal taste plus my trade so i enjoy fitting kits and repainting cars to make them different from everyone elses.

If it's just a Top Secret front, I don't think - even if done perfect - it would really enhance the value.

Though, it's a nice bumper and - done right (like I waffled about in my first reply :p ) - wouldn't reduce the value either! :)

Like Animal said, it depends what others want in the end as well! There's a Supra on here that I would have went for instead of what I did in the end had it been stock bodied. It would have cost too much to then convert it back to stock so I could take from there (would never have been happy to even try to settle with the bits it had on it).

All personal preference though as everyone will (or should :rlol:) say. :D

If the car's value after a body kit is added is of any real concern to you, then I'd say leave the body standard. Unless it's done very well and the style actually appeals to a potential buyer, then you've possibly spent money to devalue the car. That said, I'm not a fan of body kits...

Here's my 2p worth:

I'd say a bodykit is unlikely to be a sound investment, except for rare/unusual cases. The cheap ones will detract from the value, the expensive ones fitted badly will detract from the value, the expensive ones fitted well *might* add a bit to the value, but they're ... well ... expensive to buy and fit and look after (think speed bumps etc). :)

Let's say 40% (a conservative estimate I would say) of people prefer to buy cars that are standard, and 60% prefer to buy modified ones. Of the 60%, some will like Top Secret whilst hating Veilside, some will love Veilside whilst hating Top Secret, some will like DoLuck whilst hating Veilside and Top Secret... etc.

Of course, if you like the look of them, then that's an excellent reason for buying one and fitting it. Just don't expect it to return your money when you come to sell the car. :) If it does then great, but it's more likely that it won't.

Personally I think as these cars get older and if they make the transisition to classic status then you'll find factory standard cars will be worth more.

As for kits, wheels etc I don't think you can ever plan to increase the value of your car unless they are serious modifications such as expensive brakes and engine upgrades. The only exception I would think would be kits like the widebody TRD 3000 kits which are rare and if official then probably would increase the value.

Trev

going single will cost me a lot more than £500 :D

Buying and fitting a TRD widebody copy along with wheels to suit would easily cover going single ;):D

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, i like both totally stock mkivs and my kitted out car, personally some kits are awfull, lots on here love the do luck front but to me its one of the worst out there:run::hide:

Edited by Dnk (see edit history)

hmmm, now I am unsure if I want a new bumper or not. Maybe the best option is to get mine resprayed (as it needs it) and get the active spoiler matched.

If you've got an active front spoiler and want to shift it I might be interested. If that is the case, I say get the front bumper :D

You see, i would have went the other way as far as the stock option is concerned. I far prefer a kitted car and the fact that my car already had the Bomex skirts and a front splitter when i bought it probably influenced my decision to buy that particular car. If it had been stock, i may have passed it up and waited for another to come up.

It's definately a subjective thing, and "beauty is in the eye of the beholder"

Peter