The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Serviced the supe today

pistonbroke

And oh what fun it was. I planned on getting it done by my trusted indy mechanic, but a financial thrashing from the wife this month has forced my hand it dusting off the spanners.

So, car jacked up and on stands, drain the oil, remove oil filter, drop oil filter as it comes off last thread, oil all over face :(. Check bag of goodies from whifbitz......no sump plug washer. So I leave the oil draining and take a walk down to the local spares place, get washer and walk back again. I then decided to leave the oil draining for as long as possible to get the most out. So I move onto spark plug change. I remove the cover, and proceed to turn every single coil pack connector into dust as soon as I look at it :(. How the hell the car wasn't missfiring is a mystery, luckily, I planned for this and bought 6 new connectors in case of such eventuality. So, I get on here and found the IanC instructions for replacing them, :thumbs: to Ian, top work. The pictures in your thread make it look simple, but when you actually do the job, you realise how tiny and fiddly everything is. However, I persevered and managed to replace all of them. So, onto the spark plugs, I remove the coil packs and notice that the white plastic from one of the old coil pack clips has fallen into No'1 plug recess. I think to myself, I better get that out, I don't want it falling in when I remove the plug. I fought with the plastic piece for what seemed like an eternity with some stiff needle nose pliers, but to no avail. So, I hold my head over the hole and blow. The plastic bastard shoots up and hits me in the eye........then landed in No.2 recess :(, again I do the blow trick, this time with my eyes closed, I feel it ping off my forehead.........and I shit you not, I open my eyes and there he is, the little bastard is in No.3. I decided to change tactics and used some long precision screw drivers to chopstick the bugger out.....hurrahh :D. So, onto the plugs, I managed them without calamity. I wanted to do my cam cover gaskets as well, but noticed how much of a bugger the rear bolts are to get too. I decided to put everything back together while I still had light to work with. So, wack in the motul chrono v300 and start her up, praying that all 6 cylinders fire, she fires instantly and purrs to a sedate 700rpm, almost like a subliminal thankyou for new coil clips, iridiums and oil.

Job done, when I walked back into the house, I glimpsed in the mirror and saw the state of my face, I forgot about the oil filter incident, and I'd walked down the high street for the sump washer looking like I'd been run over by a bus.

:D

Edited by pistonbroke (see edit history)

And oh what fun it was. I planned on getting it done by my trusted indy mechanic, but a financial thrashing from the wife this month has forced my hand it dusting off the spanners.

So, car jacked up and on stands, drain the oil, remove oil filter, drop oil filter as it comes off last thread, oil all over face :(. Check bag of goodies from whifbitz......no sump plug washer. So I leave the oil draining and take a walk down to the local spares place, get washer and walk back again. I then decided to leave the oil draining for as long as possible to get the most out. So I move onto spark plug change. I remove the cover, and proceed to turn every single coil pack connector into dust as soon as I look at it :(. How the hell the car wasn't missfiring is a mystery, luckily, I planned for this and bought 6 new connectors in case of such eventuality. So, I get on here and found the IanC instructions for replacing them, :thumbs: to Ian, top work. The pictures in your thread make it look simple, but when you actually do the job, you realise how tiny and fiddly everything is. However, I persevered and managed to replace all of them. So, onto the spark plugs, I remove the coil packs and notice that the white plastic from one of the old coil pack clips has fallen into No'1 plug recess. I think to myself, I better get that out, I don't want it falling in when I remove the plug. I fought with the plastic piece for what seemed like an eternity with some stiff needle nose pliers, but to no avail. So, I hold my head over the hole and blow. The plastic bastard shoots up and hits me in the eye........then landed in No.2 recess :(, again I do the blow trick, this time with my eyes closed, I feel it ping off my forehead.........and I $#@! you not, I open my eyes and there he is, the little bastard is in No.3. I decided to change tactics and used some long precision screw drivers to chopstick the bugger out.....hurrahh :D. So, onto the plugs, I managed them without calamity:D

:D Same happened when i changed my plugs!

So, car jacked up and on stands, drain the oil, remove oil filter, drop oil filter as it comes off last thread, oil all over face :(. Check bag of goodies from whifbitz......no sump plug washer. So I leave the oil draining and take a walk down to the local spares place, get washer and walk back again. I then decided to leave the oil draining for as long as possible to get the most out. So I move onto spark plug change. I remove the cover, and proceed to turn every single coil pack connector into dust as soon as I look at it :(. How the hell the car wasn't missfiring is a mystery, luckily, I planned for this and bought 6 new connectors in case of such eventuality. So, I get on here and found the IanC instructions for replacing them, :thumbs: to Ian, top work. The pictures in your thread make it look simple, but when you actually do the job, you realise how tiny and fiddly everything is. However, I persevered and managed to replace all of them. So, onto the spark plugs, I remove the coil packs and notice that the white plastic from one of the old coil pack clips has fallen into No'1 plug recess. I think to myself, I better get that out, I don't want it falling in when I remove the plug. I fought with the plastic piece for what seemed like an eternity with some stiff needle nose pliers, but to no avail. So, I hold my head over the hole and blow. The plastic bastard shoots up and hits me in the eye........then landed in No.2 recess :(, again I do the blow trick, this time with my eyes closed, I feel it ping off my forehead.........and I shit you not, I open my eyes and there he is, the little bastard is in No.3. I decided to change tactics and used some long precision screw drivers to chopstick the bugger out.....hurrahh :D. So, onto the plugs, I managed them without calamity. I wanted to do my cam cover gaskets as well, but noticed how much of a bugger the rear bolts are to get too. I decided to put everything back together while I still had light to work with. So, wack in the motul chrono v300 and start her up, praying that all 6 cylinders fire, she fires instantly and purrs to a sedate 700rpm, almost like a subliminal thankyou for new coil clips, iridiums and oil.

Job done, when I walked back into the house, I glimpsed in the mirror and saw the state of my face, I forgot about the oil filter incident, and I'd walked down the high street for the sump washer looking like I'd been run over by a bus.

:D

Know how you feel mate! I was changing my drivers side front wheel studs yesterday and my word if i could have got a longer handle on my spanner to get the nut of without almost pushing out a hernia I would have! The people driving past my house must have been laughing there socks off! just think of the money you saved not forking out £80 an hour on a mechanic! :)

I must admit, that while fighting with the white plastic from the clip, when it dropped into number 3, I could do nothing but laugh, it was like something out of a carry on film. When I heard myself sniggering, I thought to myself, 'this is worth posting about' :D.

I've not got any pictures I'm afraid Geo, though tune in next week, I'm gonna spray the dash :D

I must admit, that while fighting with the white plastic from the clip, when it dropped into number 3, I could do nothing but laugh, it was like something out of a carry on film. When I heard myself sniggering, I thought to myself, 'this is worth posting about' :D.

I've not got any pictures I'm afraid Geo, though tune in next week, I'm gonna spray the dash :D

Make sure you wear eye protector thingys, so when the your done you'l have the ring marks, he he