The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Just got my new Supra but theres a problem

TrevS

Hi all

Well, I've just got back from a top gear style adventure to pick up my new Supra. I've covered 800 miles in 2 countries today to collect the car.

Overall I am very pleased with the car, its in extremely good condition and its good to get back into a Supra again. I forgot how good they are at mile munching.

However on the drive home the car started juddering at 70mph and the steering wheel started vibrating. This kept happening and seemed to occur briefly after the car had come to a stop and then pulled away again. The only way I can describe what was happening was that it was like driving over rumbles strips in the road. After about 1-2 minutes of driving the vibration faded away and the car drove as normal.

I was a bit worried that it could be an engine problem but would this cause the steering wheel to judder? Once home I checked around the car and the drivers side brake was extremly hot. Therefore does it sound like it could be an issue with the brake sticking, something caught in the brake or could the disc have warped?

Any ideas on what is causing this would be a massive help.

Thanks

Trev

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

if the wheels hot there is a good chance you have a caliper sticking, I recently had this problem. Also if you get the vibration while driving at a certain speed and it goes when going faster but returns when dropping back down to the previous speed, its more than likely you need to have the wheels balanced. I found that with my sticking caliper this also produced the vibration.

I had this Monday night although be it in my Mondeo as I only drive the Supra at weekends. Turning off a dual carriageway at 70 ish and then knock knock knock and vibration up the column. after turning off and slowing down the knocking ceased and it was only one more mile to work. At work I looked at the O/S/F wheel and all nuts where secure, no puncture but it was hot, very hot. I left work the next morning taking it steady on the back roads and it only happended again once on the way home.

I jacked it up and free wheeling found it was sticking so caliper ralated in my case and with the same symtoms I guess yours is the same TrevS. Did jonoC give you any warrenty even though you got it at an ace price ;) hehe

Scotty

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?t=203764

I bet this comes close with the cost of all the travel included to get there and back! :D

Not really what I was looking for. I wanted a stock car and the one I got is stunning. Looks like new and is a credit to its previous owners. Let just hope I am not in for a big bill for brakes and alignment

Front caliper sticking? J-Spec brakes? May even have cracked a disc by now. Strip the calipers off the sliders, checking for stiction. Check you can push the caliper pistons back by hand, check pads are free in the carriers. Renew as required, think seriously about renewing both front discs.

Ill get the car into the garage for a once over. Hoping I don't need to replace the discs as they are like new with loads of life left in them but if the caliper has caused some damage Ill replace both discs and pads at the same time.

Not a great way to start Supra ownership. I am started to think NA stands for 'Never Again'.

Trev

The bonnet is an easy fix but the brakes are a bit more concerning. I've always had to do a few little things to any Supra I've bought to get them up to the standard I want but I am a bit dissappointed that I have to potentially shell out so early on.

As it only happened half an hour into my journey home and not on my test drive I didn't pick up on it sooner. Plus the discs looked fine and have plenty of life on them so I thought all was well.

Trev

Ill get the car into the garage for a once over. Hoping I don't need to replace the discs as they are like new with loads of life left in them but if the caliper has caused some damage Ill replace both discs and pads at the same time.

Not a great way to start Supra ownership. I am started to think NA stands for 'Never Again'.

Trev

Only a small problem, so don't write it off so quickly if the rest of the car is so great (albeit an NA ;)). Get it sorted, and you'll love it.

Didn't you thoroughly test the running of the car when you went to see it? I did all kinds of driving/braking and the owner did too to so me when I went to see mine all those years ago, which gave me all the confidence in it, and I've never looked back ever. :)

Only a small problem, so don't write it off so quickly if the rest of the car is so great (albeit an NA ;)). Get it sorted, and you'll love it.

Didn't you thoroughly test the running of the car when you went to see it? I did all kinds of driving/braking and the owner did too to so me when I went to see mine all those years ago, which gave me all the confidence in it, and I've never looked back ever. :)

Like I said checked it properly using the guide from on here, the tracking seemed fine and the car was braking in a straight line etc.

If it is a sticking caliper is it likely the caliper can be repaired of will it need replacing?

Also is there any recommended sellers or places to buy jspec discs and pads?

Trev

I had a similar problem with my red NA, it was a sticking brake caliper slider and a little copper grease on this after a light clean and all was well, was caused by the car standing for a while

I would get it sorted soon though as the disc will be getting damaged from the excessive wear cause by the caliper constantly gripping the disc (and causing the heat)

I had a similar problem with my red NA, it was a sticking brake caliper slider and a little copper grease on this after a light clean and all was well, was caused by the car standing for a while

I would get it sorted soon though as the disc will be getting damaged from the excessive wear cause by the caliper constantly gripping the disc (and causing the heat)

The car had been standing for a while as Jon said he hadn't driven it properly in a couple of months so fingers crossed it might be something minor.

Would anyone recommend somewhere like Kwik Fit to take a look?

Reason I ask is that my missus took her car to Kwik fit the other week and they were pretty good at identifying a faulty sensor she had on her car and didn't charge her. If it is something minor then I'd rather not have to fork out £100+. Ill speak to my nomal garage first and see what he says.

Trev

Reason I ask is that my missus took her car to Kwik fit the other week and they were pretty good at identifying a faulty sensor she had on her car and didn't charge her. If it is something minor then I'd rather not have to fork out £100+. Ill speak to my nomal garage first and see what he says.

Trev

Problem is if it has excessive wear you will need pads and perhaps a disc(s), Kwik fit will not have these in stock for sure

I would look at visiting one of the forum garages in the Midlands, ASH or CW

Where exactly are you, it is not a complex job and I am sure with some pics from guys on here the slider is something you could do yourself :)