Wheels have arrived.... **pix**

Notts_TT

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I reckon the fronts could be doing with a nudge out too. Not due to the overfenders, they just look a bit in compared to the overfenders and the front bumper/splitter. I went for 8.5" +35's on the front and they aren't half bad. If I was doing it again I would look for 9" +35's.

An extra half inch wouldn't go wrong, but it isn't necessary...

http://www.scotster.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/Supra/Out%20&%20About/Mean.jpg

What size did you go for?

As the others have said, a 50mm track extension is a bit much. I've got 10mm on my rears just to have them sticking out a bit more. I machined them specially though so that they fit right.

Just ordered 2 50mm Hubcentric spacers, cost me £177 the pair, seem like good ones...

I will get the right wheels at the end of this show season but i have spend a lot of cash latley and had to do this...

The car will be trailered to shows and garaged most of the time.

These wont fook up my suspension or bearings will they, has anyone used spacers that big on here before.

Just ordered 2 50mm Hubcentric spacers, cost me £177 the pair, seem like good ones...

I will get the right wheels at the end of this show season but i have spend a lot of cash latley and had to do this...

The car will be trailered to shows and garaged most of the time.

These wont fook up my suspension or bearings will they, has anyone used spacers that big on here before.

Shouldn't really break your suspension but it will definitely need adjusted. Your bearings will be under a fair bit more load. I think the bearing is only 2" away from the hub face as standard so you are virtually doubling the load on it if you add 50mm spacers. Don't quote me on the 2" though, it might be a bit more.

Your camber will be off due to the extra fulcrum distance.

These are 18" 8.5 front 35 and rears 9.5 35

Really? Quite surprised at that as they don't look it. I'm using no spacers on the front and you can see they are almost flush, yours look a fair bit further in than mine. The rears on mine are 10" +20's so that is an inch of difference in comparison. If that is the case then 2" spacers would have them a half inch out further than mine.

Are you 100% sure on these sizes?

Shouldn't really break your suspension but it will definitely need adjusted. Your bearings will be under a fair bit more load. I think the bearing is only 2" away from the hub face as standard so you are virtually doubling the load on it if you add 50mm spacers. Don't quote me on the 2" though, it might be a bit more.

Your camber will be off due to the extra fulcrum distance.

Ive never understood this tbh, i cant get me head round why a wheel with a spacer on it would have extra load than a wheel that stuck out the same with no spacer?

I dont run them myself and never would recomend spacers dont really see the harm in running them, i read a lot of threads on driftworks and everyone seems to run them over there, not read any horror storys except for that lexus one that Nic posts up here everytime somebody mentions spacers.:D

I know of a few cars here that run them, Gamers car had them for years and he was 700bhp.

Oh and my rears are much wider than yours scott.... :)

That'll explain it then :)

Ive never understood this tbh, i cant get me head round why a wheel with a spacer on it would have extra load than a wheel that stuck out the same with no spacer?

I dont run them myself and never would recomend spacers dont really see the harm in running them, i read a lot of threads on driftworks and everyone seems to run them over there, not read any horror storys except for that lexus one that Nic posts up here everytime somebody mentions spacers.:D

I know of a few cars here that run them, Gamers car had them for years and he was 700bhp.

I'll try my best to explain bud.

As you know it is best to keep the offset the same. The reason for this is the supra is designed to have the load of the wheel at a certain distance from the hub. In the Supra's case this is +55. The lower this number is the further out the load is from the hub. The further out the load is from the hub the more weight is put onto the suspension and the bearing due to the fulcrum load point changing.

Think about it this way Jamie...

Using a 6ft crowbar is much easier than a 2ft crowbar. The reason is that the force x the distance is greater with the 6ft one so less load needs to be applied on the lever to get the same force at the business end. It is like closing a door closer to the hinge, it gets harder. Exactly the same principle happens here. Imagine taking off your wheel and attaching that 6ft crowbar to the hub (magically). If you were to pull the crowbar a few inches away from the hub you would get very little movement. The further away from the hub you move the easier it gets. The weight of the car doesn't change so if you put the wheels on your 6 foot extension then the bearings and the suspension would be taking on all that extra load.

Any good?

You definitely need bigger wheels imo mate, yours look like a nice rim if they we're stock but as you've gone for a wider look imo the wheels would have to be 19" at least to pull the look of correctly other wise the wheels just look lost in the arches!

Scott's car has got the mixture just right i think! Bloody stunning car that!

I may change my mind after the spacers are on mind :D

I saw the pic :p - just wanted to check because the arches didn't seem as extreme as I expected. Your wheels fill them well.

Superb looking car btw.

Ahh, yeah. I found out there may actually be 2 sizes of veilside overfenders. I went for the smaller variant. I have always known that wider copies were available, not sure if the wider ones are available as originals.

Cheers

That'll explain it then :)

I'll try my best to explain bud.

As you know it is best to keep the offset the same. The reason for this is the supra is designed to have the load of the wheel at a certain distance from the hub. In the Supra's case this is +55. The lower this number is the further out the load is from the hub. The further out the load is from the hub the more weight is put onto the suspension and the bearing due to the fulcrum load point changing.

Think about it this way Jamie...

Using a 6ft crowbar is much easier than a 2ft crowbar. The reason is that the force x the distance is greater with the 6ft one so less load needs to be applied on the lever to get the same force at the business end. It is like closing a door closer to the hinge, it gets harder. Exactly the same principle happens here. Imagine taking off your wheel and attaching that 6ft crowbar to the hub (magically). If you were to pull the crowbar a few inches away from the hub you would get very little movement. The further away from the hub you move the easier it gets. The weight of the car doesn't change so if you put the wheels on your 6 foot extension then the bearings and the suspension would be taking on all that extra load.

Any good?

Nah im still not getting it, both wheels stick out the same amount (im taking a wheel with spacer and a wheel with a offset to match the spacer wheel) so i cant see how the bearing load would change.