The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Caterham R300 or Supra? There's only one way to find out ... FIGHT

Chewie

For the last few months, I've been looking at replacing the Supra with a Caterham R300. It's funny that whizzing around the pot hole strewn frozen wastelands of southern England looking at R300s, the Supra has been absolutely brilliant. So much so that I'm thinking instead of lashing £20K on a Caterham, why not blow it on modding the old girl. But then I know only a few months down the line I'll only go and buy a Caterham.

What do you use the car for? Weekends and trackdays, just trackdays or just on the road?

If you drive on track you'll discover a whole new world with the R300.

Exactly that. It'll be a track WMD. 180 mph top speed is of no real priority nor are creature comforts. It's about acceleration and cornering. I've always had a thing about Caterham 7s when I saw an autotest event. The 7s just walked away with everything. I'd love to keep the Supra but it's not too practical towing a car trailer. LOL!! So The plan is get an R300, a trailer, a decent car like an R32 Golf or Scirocco for everyday use and fit it with a tow bar. Happy days.

Exactly that. It'll be a track WMD. 180 mph top speed is of no real priority nor are creature comforts. It's about acceleration and cornering. I've always had a thing about Caterham 7s when I saw an autotest event. The 7s just walked away with everything. I'd love to keep the Supra but it's not too practical towing a car trailer. LOL!! So The plan is get an R300, a trailer, a decent car like an R32 Golf or Scirocco for everyday use and fit it with a tow bar. Happy days.

Do it, you won't look back. The only thing I'd suggest: try to get a drive in an Ariel Atom before you sign on the dotted line. They're pretty special too, and very easy to play with (Civic type R engine in the later ones).

Good luck, and keep us updated!

EDIT: and go for the Golf, it'll be the better towing car although won't look as nice. Make sure it's DSG though. Incredible box.

If you are going to tow it about and just do track gays there are FAR quicker things than an R300. You might as well have some downforce :)

OK, this has sold (it probably went for just over £20K, it's a lovely car) but it would make an R300 look silly. http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/1413629.htm Also keeps a decent re sale value. You could frighten yourself in one, as opposed to just having fun in something without wings :)

I'm for caterham all the way, brilliant cars and so much fun. Best track day i had was in a caterham. If i could justify a second car it would be one of those. If you are looking at buying new from caterham, get yourself onto a few of the caterham track/drift days as they will take off what you pay for the day from the price of the car :)

As Chris and Thorin say, you can get a lot more bang for your buck with Westfields/single seaters / BEC. However, Caterham's do seem to hold their value well and tend to need less fettling.

I bought a bog standard caterham 1.6 roadsport back in the autumn for £10K. I've since fitted Toyo 888 and had the geometry sorted. I know Cadwell quite well and took the 7 for a track day in december. It's clear that even with only 110HP the limits are my poor driving ability not lack of power.

If i had 20K to spend I'd get a Caterham superlight for 15K and spend the rest on driving tuition!!

Good luck with whatever you choose.

If you are going to tow it about and just do track gays there are FAR quicker things than an R300. You might as well have some downforce :)

OK, this has sold (it probably went for just over £20K, it's a lovely car) but it would make an R300 look silly. http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/1413629.htm Also keeps a decent re sale value. You could frighten yourself in one, as opposed to just having fun in something without wings :)

LOL!! [GRIN][/GRIN] Just before Xmas, I had a work shop built to tinker around with the Caterham and my bikes. If I bought that I'd need planning permission to extend it.

A guy i know built this and is selling it. A bit over budget i know but has to seen to be appreciated.

http://www.pistonheads.com/SALES/1114779.htm

Does it have to be catering van? There are alot of these types of kits and for the money you want to spend you will get something has spent alot on and will eat the r300.

There a busa turbo for sale a little while with over 50k invested into it but cant find it.

A guy i know built this and is selling it. A bit over budget i know but has to seen to be appreciated.

Does it have to be catering van? There are alot of these types of kits and for the money you want to spend you will get something has spent alot on and will eat the r300.

There a busa turbo for sale a little while with over 50k invested into it but cant find it.

If it is purely for the track then I would say Caterham(although not an R300, you can have better for cheaper) if it will have road use then the Caterham is sh1te, all it will do is skip and bounce over every bump making it very difficult to put your foot down.

Has it got 460bhp per tonne by any chance? :p

• 2 weeks later...
But it'll always be a fake. Why not get a 355 kitted MR2? :p

You're missing the point.

The AC cobra (20k plus) is a lovely looking car- Faux or not. The MR2... Be it a kitted 355, or not.. Is not.

Plus speaking from experience, i have drifted one around Snetterton (got told off) with an LS2 lump, and it was one hell of a machine to be in control of.

Not strictly an out and out track car, but awesome all the same.

You're missing the point.

Not at all. If it was me, I'd always be wishing I had the real thing and that would ruin some of the charm. Building a turbo bike engined Caterfield would be my route if I was doing it, although the Atom would be hard to look past with the 2.0 VTEC.