The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Back from dyno - results

jevansio

Today I went down to RS Tuning in Leeds to get my car mapped by Ryan :D

After Jamies performance I was secretly hoping for a low 700 figure (dependant on boost).

Sadly it wasn't to be :(. A number of little issues conspired against us.

1st up I had to swap the rear wheels with Ryans Supra, the 888s were known to be no good on the dyno & Ryan said his PSs would be much better.

Getting the car on the dyno in itself was a chew on, the new 4" midpipe coupled with the extra big vband made things difficult.

Next up my diffuser meant we couldn't get the car strapped down, so that had to come off.

After we eventually started it wasn't long before Ryan spotted he had no boost control. He wanted to look at the solenoid, which is now in the inner wing :rolleyes:, so had to fumble on getting the arch liner off with the front wheel on just to get at it.

Some dodgy wiring (not by me BTW) on the solenoid was one issues, but the solenoid was a bit stuffed too. An hour later wityh a new solenoid plumbed in & we were away again.

The next issue which pretty much limited what we could do was a missfire at boost over 1.5 BAR at high rpm, so we called it at day at 1.4 BAR.

The car made 642bhp @ 1.4BAR, I'm happy with that power at that boost TBH. Should be looking at over 700bhp at 1.6 to 1.7 BAR esp if we can push the rpms to 7.5k, but this will come in another month or so now.

The missfire is going to be solved by fresh colder plugs (BKR9EIX) and checking coilpack connectors (which I have a hunch it will be due to me having to check them pretty much every 6 months as I develope high boost high rpm missfires periodically which that fixes.

I'm really pleased with the torque making approx 500ft/lbs from 4250 upto 7000.

On the road is another story, the car is an animal. It has never been as light & powerfull as it is today. It actually scares me.

There is no putting power down in 3rd unless you feather it in (whch I will have to practice), 4th is pretty much the 1st gear you can nail it (& it takes your face off), 5th is the same as 4th, I couldn't try 6th :D. It's still pulling hard at 7.2k (my redline). I think it's going to take some hours driving it to get used to the power :)

I have to say a massive thanks to Ryan who has once again done the business, also the lads at RS Tuning for putting up with all my issues :D, oh & me for fitting the new turbo :p

Couple of graphs, flywheel bhp vs torque &, rear wheel vs boost.

attachment.php?attachmentid=104243&stc=1&d=1264531374

attachment.php?attachmentid=104244&stc=1&d=1264531374

IMG_4782.jpg

IMG_4783.jpg

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Really happy for you Jay!

I'd replace the coil packs, the connectors and the plugs - leave nothing to chance! Get that boost up and show us what that thing can really do :)

Cheers matey, I'm going to try plugs & connectors 1st, I have a hunch the coilpacks will be OK.

Good work jay, is the spool better on this new turbo then?

I'd love to have a ride it in some day ;)

It's hard to say James, I'm too busy keeping it in a straight line when it comes on strong, suffice to say driving it is a pleasure, it seems to pull from nowhere in high gears, it seems to have a really big area of rpm where you get the same amount of "pull"

Me too, ain't been in a supra in years :(

Soon buddy :)

Sorry to hear about the issues, though they are only minor to be honest. Well done on the results at 1.4 Bar :thumbs:

Yip Kev, I was quite happy that my handwork stood the test TBH, I was expecting something I had done to go tits up :D

Nice one Jay, some good numbers there. She'l take some time getting used to all that power and planting it. Makes me wana now look at reaching the 600 mark, he he.

You and JamieP are bad men. :p

Thanks George, she sure will, without trc cntrl it really is a handfull even in the dry, I guess when the warm comes the 888s will grip better.

Ryan really does know his stuff. I wouldn't let anyone near my car. Good result at 1.4 bar. Imagine it at 2bar LOL.

Cheers John, it's nerve wrecking but you know it's in good hands. TBH I don't think I'm man enough for 2 BAR, I will glady let jamie take that job :D

Nice one Jay, that's a very respectable power figure for only 1.4 bar. Boost comes on nice and early too :)

Cheers Darrly, yip I'm really pleased how it "feels". Once I get to grips with it, it should make an awesome street setup.

Good result!

That car is going to be an absolute animal when it's finished - I can't even imagine it now! :D

It's never finished :D