The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Eagle F1's?

TLicense

All,

I'm lookinng for a new set of tyres to fit on my 18X8's all round.

Currently I've got 225/50/18's.

First of all I see that Goodyear Eagle F1's seem to get a lot of praise on here. Why? Looking at the "reifentest" on my tyres, it put's them at average at best? Is there any other "Performance tyre" that is widely seen as suiting the supe?

Secondly, Running a 225 on the 8" rims. Can I run a 235 on the rear say to give it a bit more grip. Would anyone recommend going for a wider tyre than this or would that be my limit?

Thanks for all your replies.

i like the Goodyear's, but also like my current Toyo Proxies.

I'd fit 245's to the rear and leave 225's on the front.

245 and 225 Kumho V70A's are very high performance road /track rubber but won't last as long as a regular road tyres but the outlay is approx the same ie £600 ish.

If my wheels ever turn up these are what i want to try.

kumho V70A

er i think these tyres (or close relative) are on the rear of Nick's (Terry's) car....

No expert, but isn't 225/50/18 a bit of a high profile?

On my second set of F1s, would definitely recommend them. The tests I've seen rate them middling-good in the dry, but excellent in the wet. Running 8" on your rears, you could probably do with all the wet grip you can get. Oh, very good wear rate too - think I got 18,000 miles out of my fronts, and then only one inside edge was below limits. Around 14,000 out of my rears I think.

:looney:

Narrow tyre would be better in the wet as it cuts through the water more than a fat ass tyre. But I'd deffo recommend the eagles for all weather performance, there are better performers in the dry, but I'd rather have the extra safety in the wet than the extra negliable performance difference in the dry.

225's seem a little narrow to me... and yeah it does sound a little high.

Originally posted by SupraStar 3000

I had re-moulds before I decided to buy a set of Eagle F1's..... so I get to experience both extremes.

Couldn't believe the f1's performed so well.

I definitely recommend Eagle F1s. :sly:

http://www.david.c.c.btinternet.co.uk/Resources/suprastar.jpeg

REMOULDS on a supe are you mad?

http://hometown.aol.co.uk./LEE2SARE/dienewbie.gif

Originally posted by carl0s

i'm confused about widths. My stock 17's run 255's at the back, and you're talking about running narrower with 18's? How come?

Because of his wheel. With the power hes running I'd be opting for wider wheels.

My cornering confidence is coming on leaps and bounds with good eagle F1's on standard 17"s over my old bridgestone potenzas on the back and eagle summat or other on the fronts standard 16"s. Don't get me wrong my previous setup was good but this F1 setup all round is stunning. (I just scared the crap out of my best mates mrs hammering a roundabout just now lol)

Originally posted by Grazer

Forget £600 - have a look on ebay - I got new F1s for £90 each for 225s and £100 each for 245s. Local place fitted them for £15. :D

Tight assed Jock:p :p

Yeah I got mine on refurbed wheels with most of the tread left for just over £400 from here so its worth a look around. I also passed on my 16" rear tyres for a fraction of the new price so it is worth a quick scan around.

Ah, a bit of a typo on my part.

Your right 225/50/18 would be a little massive on profile, I meant 225/40/18.

Going on what you all say the F1's seem pretty good. Looking on mytyres.co.uk the Dunlop SP8000 seem to perform very well also, with 1 being best 6, being worse they get a 1.6 compared to the f1's 2.2 overall, and score a 1.5 to the f1's 1.9 in wet conditions.

Hmmm, I guess I'll probably go the tried and tested goodyear/supe combination though.

On to sizes...

OK If I go as suggested 245 on the rear, as opposed to the 225's I've currently got, will I need to step down a profile? I suppose I could find that tyre calculator and work it out. I'm not too bothered about speedo calibration, as mines totally screwed as it is, just trying to work out what's going to give me the best grip.

Your right about wider wheels though. I've had a few nasty wheel spin at 50 mph moments over the past couple of days in the dry, which I must admit have made me clench a little. Kept me foot in though :thumbs: Unfortunately though, I can't afford a new set of alloys now, and then have to buy some more again when I go WB (If I can ever afford that on it's own that is!)

Cheers for the advice chaps, keep it coming.

I have Dunlop 9000SP all round they are the best tyres I have ever run.

225-40-18 front

264-35-18 rear

Fantastic grip, and I've been flogging the ass outa' them, not as much wear as my F1s

Later

Originally posted by dangerous brain

I got mine on refurbed wheels with most of the tread left for just over £400....

These were brand spanking new Goodyear Eagle F1s for £90 each on ebay - not an auction but a buy-it-now thing.

Johnson Imports IIRC

Guest 500hpsupra6spd

I had 275/30/19 advan/yokohama tyres on my tt then I changed them to 275/30/19 goodyear eagle f1s and the grip is miles better in the dry and wet so id definately recommend them from my experience.If you go thinner on the back tyres youre definately going to get less grip on the back end in wet and dry conditions.Whatever you do go wider.

This will answer your profile questions: http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html Simply find the original, correct, J spec wheel/tyre size combination, put that in and then put in what you want and see how far out you'll be. AFAIK, Supras are designed to run wider rear wheels as well as tyres, regardless if J spec or UK, so even if you can't get wider wheels at the back, get wider tyres.

Seb

Just ordered a set of Goodyear Eagle GSD3's.

225/40/18's for the front

245/35/18's for the rear (35 to keep the same radius or there about's)

Total cost including fitting/VAT = £568 :eek:

Having them fitted on Tuesday along with a full alignment. Am going to go for the settings as posted on the MKIV site. Any other suggestions with regards to camber/castor/toe will be much abliged.

Regards

Originally posted by Grazer

Forget £600 - have a look on ebay - I got new F1s for £90 each for 225s and £100 each for 245s. Local place fitted them for £15.

Blimey that's a good price! I just looked on eBay but couldn't find anything like those prices :(

Did you get them from a private sale or a tyre dealer? If it was a dealer do you remember their name?