The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Cental Locking Control Unit

pbryant_knight

HI Guys,

You may have seen earlier that my central locking packed up from the cold weather and it hasn't come back on.

For info, it's obviously wired into the Alarm system (Cobra i think but may be wrong) as the alarm fob used to set the alarm and lock/unlock the doors. Now the alarm still works but the doors don't. they also don't work manually using the central locking?

I've been told i'll need a new control unit. Not being mechanically minded i have a few questions :search:

A search on the forum says that its a red box behind the passenger air vent, Someone else says its a black box in the drivers side door and someone said it could be in the Kick panel?

Firstly, anyone know where it actually is? Secondly, is it easy to replace and how much am i looking for a new one? will i need to get the fob re-tuned to it or anything?

Thanks in advance

Peter

Seems like a common problem this over the bad cold we've just had .

My problem is that the car doesn't unlock but will lock on the central locking , And i have a sigma alarm , but from what i can work out its nothing to do with the alarms .

What i was told is , because i tried unlocking the car when it was iced up the locks may have been froze which will have blown the fuse on the unlock side of the alarm as i was told there is fuses on the lock side and unlock side , As my alarm system has its own fuse supply .

Do you tink this sounds right , seems abit sus to me .

sounds similar to to my problem, but the other way around, i also have a sigma alarm, does your key fob look rectangular with a black rubber button and a small red light to the top right of the button. ??

id also like to know the price of " The Red Box" :)

Well, mine started to unlock AND lock again the other day after opening the passenger side door with the key? Then it stopped working again and will now only lock? (still better than not working at all though). Therefore i doubt it is the fuse for the unlock side.

Seems like a common problem throughout all Supra owners.

Peter

Ouch ... well im 99% sure ill be getting a second hand one either tommorrow or next week, for a very reasonable price :)

maybe try a couple of traders on here like "Dude" or "keron" they break supras and im sure one of them may have a unit, although saying that i may have just got one from Dude :)

Seems like your having the same thoughts as me then, i was wondering if i could take the unit out and give it to my mate who works with circuit bords and eletrics al day, see if he can identify the problem :)

should be able to locate whats wrong surely.