The mkiv Supra Owners Club

auto to 5 speed whats a good price?

The Raven

i would like to know too

but will a 5 speed box handle a TT lump BPU`ed?

Another good question.

From what i can tell they should be able to take 480ish.

Maybe a trader can give us a price? And what to expect. I have heard that a 5 speed TT feels more like a small single.

They wont take that much power, 480 is small single territory, they wont even handle bpu it seems, id stay stock tt if going with a w58.

Bugger, i dont know where i heard they would take it from.

Might have to rethink the whole 5 speed idea if i cant go BPU, Stick with an autobox

Guest beathacker

I got a price from an australian importer

"for a full V160/161 getrag conversion, you are looking at around $7k aud - this includes everything you need for the conversion, from flywheel to diff."

I think this sounds god what do you guys think ?

I got a price from an australian importer

"for a full V160/161 getrag conversion, you are looking at around $7k aud - this includes everything you need for the conversion, from flywheel to diff."

I think this sounds god what do you guys think ?

Thats a 6 speed, which about 3k uk money here.

We are talking w58 box from an N/A

my mate has a bpued 5speed Na, He drives it like a nutter has done drifting days etc and genrally abuses it to the point where he wants to blow up the box.. As of yet he cant (can been converted for over a year now)

i guess it has something to do with the condition of the box... I have taken out some totally knackered 6speed boxes out of standard TT cars before.. These boxes can take 1000hp so why are they knackered? Prob coz they have been abused..

Abuse anything and itll break in the end

when i converted my old aero i paid 500 for the kit.. some more for a new tunnel and flywheel bolts.. If your going TT youll need a clutch.. but a good used one that you get with the kit will be fine for an NA

and i bet 500 to fit at a guess?! It can be done in a day if all the parts are available

Edited by JODY T (see edit history)

see the thing that gets me right is the w58 is rated around 350-400 max BUT a guy in the states did his entire mapping session on 1 up to 600 ish HP :shrug:

Oviously on the street thats probly totaly different matter but to have 1 hold that power on a dyno impresses me.

i have a customer with a tt single turbo on it...curently running approx 500 horses...5 speed works fine on it and he abuses it...;)

I think its Trig who has a 5 speed in his and he drives that hard!!! Its BPU and does pull like a little single, I think it depends on how you abuse it, if you want to hold it on the line at the pod with slicks and anti lag at 6000rpm its gonna break, be sensible off the line and cane it thru the gears and it will be fine, 5th is pretty overdriven so it quite long legged with a 6 spd diff in.

Fitting wise about the same as a 6spd which I budget about £750 for IF i am supplying the kit. Bank on a good 2 days work.