The mkiv Supra Owners Club

are stock wheels the best wheel to have on a twin turbo?

catfish man

Looks aside they are forged, the correct offset, fairly light, VERY strong, have the correct spigot hole diameter for the hubs without any horrible fudging with rings et cetera, use cheap tyres, are less suspect to pot hole damage as they run a reasonably high profile tyre, have good brake cooling by both conductivity and air flow, and are cheap as chips.

Downside? Looks? Not trendy, can't think of anything else at all.

If you want superb wet handling and traction, a GREAT ride, and are happy with J-Spec brakes the totally unloved 16 inch import rims and tyres are unbeatable. Something for those on 18 or 19 inch tyres to reflect on when sat in a ditch, perhaps ;)

When I bought my car it had a nice set of wheels with a bit of a lip on them but for some time now I have been using stock 17's which just seem to feel better!

My j spec TT is running UK 17 standards with Toyo T1R's and standard suspension. With just buying the TT last month I do want to change the standard alloys at some point but only when purchasing brake upgrade , coilovers and then get a geo set up with some new alloys. There is no point in really getting 18's etc till I get the rest done as handling will be impared.

I will save my 2k for a couple of months and change the lot (but will keep the standards as they are totally unmarked) right off to start savin:blink:

Scotty

I certainly wish I'd bought those stock 17's when they came up last year, as I could paint them black and run winter tyres on them just for this nasty period of weather we're having.

I'm on the look out again. ;)

And I'm running TTE alloys normally, which are great when the weather's better, but a second stock set would be a wise idea. :)

Looks aside they are forged, the correct offset, fairly light, VERY strong, have the correct spigot hole diameter for the hubs without any horrible fudging with rings et cetera, use cheap tyres, are less suspect to pot hole damage as they run a reasonably high profile tyre, have good brake cooling by both conductivity and air flow, and are cheap as chips.

Downside? Looks? Not trendy, can't think of anything else at all.

If you want superb wet handling and traction, a GREAT ride, and are happy with J-Spec brakes the totally unloved 16 inch import rims and tyres are unbeatable. Something for those on 18 or 19 inch tyres to reflect on when sat in a ditch, perhaps ;)

Chris are you saying that the stock 17's and the stock 16's on the import are both good wheels to be running??

thanks

Chris are you saying that the stock 17's and the stock 16's on the import are both good wheels to be running??

You can't have been here since 2005 and never seen him say that before, Chris says stock wheels are best every time he replies to such a thread! :D

The nicest drive I've had in a Supra so far has been on stock 17s, they're hard to beat.

I suppose its like any car and especially performance cars, standard suspension + standard alloys + standard set up = as the manufacturer intended. Start putting 18's and 19's on and not getting it properly set up = improper handling. I suppose if its just for looks well yeah ok but if your going to be hard driving round corners we will see many a car in the roadside ditch:d

scotty

You can't have been here since 2005 and never seen him say that before, Chris says stock wheels are best every time he replies to such a thread! :D

The nicest drive I've had in a Supra so far has been on stock 17s, they're hard to beat.

i have heard great results with the uk 17's, but no one ever says good things about the jspec 16's.... that is what a was asking about matey ;)

i have heard great results with the uk 17's, but no one ever says good things about the jspec 16's.... that is what a was asking about matey ;)

Chris has mentioned those plenty of times too, highly loved! I find it very hard to get tyres for the 16s though, uncommon tyre sizes required.

Guest vintage21275
no one says good things about ugly women, either, but they usually work well, give no trouble, are cheap to run and are rarely stolen from you.

:D

Yes. I ran stock j spec 16s with j spec brakes and factory bilsteins on my old TT.

Car handled very well, stopped reasonably well and could put the power down well too.

Never had any fishtailing or unexpected twichyness/arse out action like you see on some cars with aftermarket big wheels and suspension.