The mkiv Supra Owners Club

HKS Supercharged NA for sale in Japan

j_jza80

Fanatastic until it goes wrong, HKS can't even supply bits for two year old expensive dampers, or gearbox parts for VERY expensive sequential boxes, good luck with an ancient turbo kit not even listed for a 2JZ. 2009 sadly brought lack of spares supply home to quite a few of my customers who were left looking at expensive scrap and an even more expensive re engineering to get them out of the mire.

Fanatastic until it goes wrong, HKS can't even supply bits for two year old expensive dampers, or gearbox parts for VERY expensive sequential boxes, good luck with an ancient turbo kit not even listed for a 2JZ. 2009 sadly brought lack of spares supply home to quite a few of my customers who were left looking at expensive scrap and an even more expensive re engineering to get them out of the mire.

Having seen you say this a few times now it's kind of putting me off getting any HKS parts if I look into them. It sounds quite horrific that a prominent vendor would have such crap aftersales and totally screw their customer's loyalty to them.

Are there any other parts supplies for the Supra that act like that from your experience, and vica versa what makes have you found do supply parts for a long period of time regarding suspension/brakes/mechanical components?

Curious as if I do a big build on my car I'd like to think if I buy a quality damper or such that 5 odd years down the line if a part is worn I am not basically put into my best dog show pose and crying at the price when I have to find a part which should be a simple job.

HKS Europe Ltd

Units 4&5, Sawfield House

Alconbury Hill

Alconbury Weston

Huntingdonshire

Cambridgeshire

PE28 4JL

England

Tel: + 44 (0) 1480 431604

Fax: + 44 (0) 1480 454089

Enquiries: [email protected]

Ring them and ask, most Jap made dampers are effectively unservicable, or need custom bits making to fit, which makes it cost ineffective. Trust gearboxes made under licence by Quaife, Greddy calipers and discs, made under licence by Alcon can be a problem. My free tip is ring the makers with a mythical request for some spare before buying ANY expensive item that may need servicing either now or in the future. I am guilty myself, this Mugen race V8 in my Lola is making me grey and financially destitute as I accepted someone's word bits were as easy to get as for a Ford Duratec....

Bilstein, Scandinavian made Ohlins (NOT Jap made ones) and Nitron are all serviceable. Parts back up for OS Giken stuff is very good.

FWIW, my take on HKS bits is as follows:

They do make some good parts, which work well and do exactly what they designed them to. They also make some parts which are close to useless in the UK, for 99% of people's cars.

An example is the infamous mushroom air 'filter'. The filtration obviously played second fiddle to the amount of air they could flow, meaning people using them were forever junking turbine blades as shit got sucked through the filter.

People don't realise that the idea is that people using these filters will rebuild regularly (i.e. in the motorsport arena).

The big twin turbo kits that HKS make for the Supra are without parallel IMO (prove me wrong?) but again, you have to know exactly what you're about and how they're meant to be used before they begin to make sense.

I can't comment on their after-sales service because I'm only using one part of theirs right now and I hate it anyway (SSQV).

An example is the infamous mushroom air 'filter'. The filtration obviously played second fiddle to the amount of air they could flow, meaning people using them were forever junking turbine blades as shit got sucked through the filter.

People don't realise that the idea is that people using these filters will rebuild regularly (i.e. in the motorsport arena).

This is exactly why I promptly went back to stock for my NA. No turbo, but the stock box is all I need.