The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Stone Chips on Spats.

a98pmalcolm

Hi. Just seeing what people do or if they have any ideas what to do about the paint spats being worn away were stones ect hit them.

Mine have gone pretty much to white now, and i thought of getting a piece of black vinyl made up or something to stick there.

What does everyone else do about this?

Thanks

Paul

http://img62.imageshack.us/img62/7401/14072009266.jpg

Hi. Just seeing what people do or if they have any ideas what to do about the paint spats being worn away were stones ect hit them.

Mine have gone pretty much to white now, and i thought of getting a piece of black vinyl made up or something to stick there.

What does everyone else do about this?

Thanks

Paul

http://img62.imageshack.us/img62/7401/14072009266.jpg

Ah, great post, I was thinking about this the other day, as mine are rapidly going white with this weather. Be interesting to see what people do, if anything?

I'l probably end up getting some sort of wrap, plenty of it at work.

Its worse when you have a black car. I had some paint made up in a spray can, if it needed touched up id clean it, dry it, then spray the white part. Not alot you can do im afraid when cars are resprayed.

Bit of a rubbish suggestion, but especially on a black car, is it not worth using a little vinyl wrap or something? Or is that just not an option?

Bit of a rubbish suggestion, but especially on a black car, is it not worth using a little vinyl wrap or something? Or is that just not an option?

been doing this for ages dude, tend to find it more of a problem in winter due to the crap on the roads. summer i can get away not doing it.

Still havnt found a good way of solving this problem!!!!

There is always mud flaps??

been doing this for ages dude, tend to find it more of a problem in winter due to the crap on the roads. summer i can get away not doing it.

Still havnt found a good way of solving this problem!!!!

There is always mud flaps??

Yeah, I understand. Mind you, if the winters are going to carry on like this, I wont drive the Supra anyway.

Mud flaps? Oh really... :D. I don't think there is a single percent chance you'd do that to yours Geo!

*Looks on Ebay for carbon black mud flaps :D

Yeah, I understand. Mind you, if the winters are going to carry on like this, I wont drive the Supra anyway.

Mud flaps? Oh really... :D. I don't think there is a single percent chance you'd do that to yours Geo!

*Looks on Ebay for carbon black mud flaps :D

no chance in HELL.

Not even carbon flaps. :D

I am in the same situation, as the car has aftermarket kit on and I 'presume' whatever is there at stock has some sort of plastic / rubber protective lining.

I was going to find some sticky rubber to cut to shape as theres no way I will be able to just buy something that will fit on but I am just wondering if it will hold on there when the wet weather comes along. I would probably eye up B&Q for this but been sorting other bits lately.

Asked this at a bodyshop the other day when getting a quote for them to refurb my spats and how to then stop the stone chipping reoccuring.

They said either a laminate (the same that is on the painted side of some wing mirrors) or a lot of laquer.

The laminate option is probably the better bet, but doing it just for the face part of the spat that gets the chips means it can risk peeling or of course there'll be a build up of grime at the edge of the sheet where it then meets the outside of the spat.

Got some self adhesive vinyl for my fibreglass skirts years back and it still looks good.

Make a paper template and cut them out of the vinyl, colour not an exact match but very near, as the vinyl is never going to chip like the paint the colour remains.

yer this is a comon problem it seems! i think im goin to get some coloured vinyl made to fit. Be great if they have a simler blue lol.

Keep reposting for ideas! :)

Instead of buying coloured vinyl couldnt you just buy some transparent stuff instead if you got the spats sprayed?

Or is it a case of that you dont want to respray them and just cover the marks up??

3m make a stone chip clear film. It comes in a roll and you cut to shape and stick on the parts are getting hit.I did it to my sideskirts and it worked a treat. Its murder trying to fit without putting fingerprints on the sticky side.:bang:

Nice one, do you know how much it cost and whereabouts did you get it?

I like the idea of using that.

Could do that while I get the drivers side sideskirt worked on - got a little crack and the door just catches it. Not annoying whatsoever.

Nice one, do you know how much it cost and whereabouts did you get it?

I like the idea of using that.

Could do that while I get the drivers side sideskirt worked on - got a little crack and the door just catches it. Not annoying whatsoever.

I got it through a motor factors place who delivers paint and materials to my work.We use two places Brown Brothers and Dingbro. I dont know if the have places uk wide but any good factors should be able to source it for you. The 3m stuff was around £15 if i remember right but it is good stuff and worth the money.

I got it through a motor factors place who delivers paint and materials to my work.We use two places Brown Brothers and Dingbro. I dont know if the have places uk wide but any good factors should be able to source it for you. The 3m stuff was around £15 if i remember right but it is good stuff and worth the money.

Cheers mate, nice one :thumbs:

My car is black with top secret kit I just touch mine up with a black paint pen, doesn't last long but better than white bits, you just colour it in!

Mine doesn't have this problem, nothing to do with it being quick silver :D

sounds like the film ideas are best, most high end marquees like Ferrari, Aston Martin use these films regularly on customers cars so then they retain a higher resale value. It is better than getting it resprayed TBH.