The mkiv Supra Owners Club

na , tt , single

Guest johnwd

i know people say if you get a na you will always want a TT but im just wondering do people who get a TT will always want a single , im just wondering if its worth me saving more and getting a single instead .

buddy once you have experienced single you wont go back. the bpu tt is very very quick so dont under rate it. the bpu keeps the integrity of a strong built toyota car. i wouldnt say to you to jump straight into a single, they are very savage cars and you need skill to control them. the bpu tt in my opinion is the best choice. singles cost a fortune to buy, run and maintain.

To be honest, I'd say a well cared for TT or a TT supporting BPU should be more than satisfactory.

I loved my TT as it was, drove it up and down the country with pleasure. Then I went BPU, love the speed but its harder and not so pleasant to use in adverse conditions due to the the way the power kicks in at 4,000rpm. To be honest, for road use a well sorted BPU Supra is MORE than enough!

I have never been in a single, so camn't comment but I would assume, as for driving one regularly on the road, I can't help but think a TT/TT BPu is the way to go.

well i was thinking i had a na before and yes i wanted a TT but now im thinking if im going to buy one to get one that checks all the boxes really so im prepared to wait (if i can withstand the temptation) for the car with it already in and sorted , im just wondering in regards to maintaining the car with big hp what would be involved also i think ill be happy with around 500 hp to be honest i dont think i would go any further really on power incase incase something goes wrong as i will be driving it most of the year cheers.

Jamie and Adnan have it spot on, having been an owner of all three Supra models, completely agree with what they've said.

Supra's for me are about fast cars and I find the NA lacking. Single is stupidly quick, but is very expensive to build correctly and to maintain, even if you are handy with the spanners.

If I were to do it again I'd leave it as BPU TT. It's still very quick even by modern standards and doesn't cost much to convert; maintainence doesn't need to be that much higher than a stock TT or NA.

well i was thinking i had a na before and yes i wanted a TT but now im thinking if im going to buy one to get one that checks all the boxes really so im prepared to wait (if i can withstand the temptation) for the car with it already in and sorted , im just wondering in regards to maintaining the car with big hp what would be involved also i think ill be happy with around 500 hp to be honest i dont think i would go any further really on power incase incase something goes wrong as i will be driving it most of the year cheers.

What sort of budget are you talking, buying or even finding a well spec'd single supra is not an easy thing.

i was gonna see if i could find one say a max of 13k i would say but if a bpu would be a better choice might just stick with that whats the max hp u can get from bpu?

i was gonna see if i could find one say a max of 13k i would say but if a bpu would be a better choice might just stick with that whats the max hp u can get from bpu?

It depend on the mods but 400bhp at the flywheel is pretty much agreed upon as the target for BPU. You can get more pushing AFR's and boost levels higher, 430bhp is about as far as you can get without messing with the fueling and ECU. 450bhp is about as high as it can get with the TT setup, but costs a LOT of money to get that last 20-30 bhp.

I've taken the even more conservative approach and never modded (increased bhp wise) any of my supra's. NA's are not really worth doing and if you do the basics they tend to end up very loud, and the stock TT i've always been impressed with anyway and you can almost ensure trouble/cost free running by buying a stock one and leaving it alone.

Fear of major out of the blue repair costs put me off modding in my early years as I was running one on a very limited budget but that ethos has stayed with me but then i'm one of the few that doesn't seem to crave more power.

with the singles being such high hp are they very stable on the roads with the boost coming on , would anyone use one for a everyday drive

If built right they are fine but with a 13k budget im not sure id bother tbh, they are stable on the road but as with anything with rwd and 500bhp respect is needed if the roads are poor.

I'd bought my TT and had it about 7months before going BPU. BPU is nice good power but I want more.

Had the car BPU for 10months and now going single.

It isn't cheap and Im buying the parts a bit at a time but with only the turbo kit to get Im sure the results will be worth it.

If built right they are fine but with a 13k budget im not sure id bother tbh, they are stable on the road but as with anything with rwd and 500bhp respect is needed if the roads are poor.

From what i can gather most single owners don't, but I would of thought that in order to really utilise the singles power you need to do what Jamie does and use R888 or similar tyres or else, at least up to 70-80mph, you may as well be in a BPU car?

Both very good posts, and 100% true from my experience.

I'd bought my TT and had it about 7months before going BPU. BPU is nice good power but I want more.

Had the car BPU for 10months and now going single.

It isn't cheap and Im buying the parts a bit at a time but with only the turbo kit to get Im sure the results will be worth it.

how much did the whole kit cost you ricky if you dont mind me asking

Clutch -£550

Fuel Injectors - £540

Fuel dampner line - £60

Fuel Pump - £150

Spark plugs - £60

ECU - £1400

Turbo kit - £3000-£4000.

Dont forget Labour - £1500ish

Dyno/Mapping time £600ish

I have also gone for a new intake manifold - £900 with all the extra bits to make this work (extra intercooler pipes, throttle cable etc)

Q45 throttle body - £60

Also you will need some gauges to keep an eye on whats going on. Which are around £150+ each.

You dont need these to go single as you can use the stock one.

As you can tell its not cheap to go single. If I was doing it again I would buy one already as a single turbo. But as Jamie said its difficult to find a decent supe with a decent spec.

Ricky's one is a good guide, but there's a few factors to include like service items. Extra set of plugs, oil & filter changes and all the other stuff after the mapping are going to add £200, more so if the first map doesn't work out. Unforseen stuff (and there will be a LOT of that) needs a thousand or two to be reasonable safe. Just make sure there's spare a couple of £k spare in case it's needed. That goes for anyone owning a single, let alone anyone building one.

with the singles being such high hp are they very stable on the roads with the boost coming on , would anyone use one for a everyday drive

Ive had my car for now 6 years and its been a daily driver since day one.

drove it as a BPU for 4 and a bit years and been single pushing over 560bhp for the past 20 months.

As for stability, find the single so much more predictable than a Twin Turbo BPU setup and with the required respect an absolute joy to drive.

No regrets / plenty of fun, more than enough performance to put to shame over 99% of whats on the roads. Not to mention, built well and very reliable for what is now essentially a 14 yr old car.