The mkiv Supra Owners Club

2JZ-GE Ignition Timing

pedrosixfour

Hi folks.

With the new season of track days fast approaching and a belief that a TRD panel filter with my name on it is on a (very;)) slow boat from China I was wondering was there any gain to be had from tinkering with the ignition timing.:)

To give you the full picture the car is a track only hobby. It's running one of Nic's 6 branch manifolds into a de-catted Jasma system, I use Maxol E5 fuel which supposedly has a 5% bioethanol content which, again supposedly, increases the octane rating of the fuel to between 98 & 99. I also use slightly colder plugs (TT spec) to help with the sustained hard revving.

This car has been delimited at some stage of its life whether it was done in Japan or during its brief stint in the UK I don't know, so whether any changes were made to the car to adapt it to life on UK-ky 95 octane is also unknown to me. If such mods even exist for the NA

With the addition of the TRD panel fiter in the stock airbox is there any gain to be had by adjusting the timing of the spark (from it's factory 10 degree BTDC) to compliment these breathing changes without coming into detonation territory.

Bear in mind that as this is a track car it lives in the top half of the rev range so low down smoothness and grunt could be sacrificed if something useful could be gain further up provided it wasn't left a bastard to start or something!

I realise such power gains (if any) will be minute and it would be very hard to give a definitive answer without before and after testing anyway but I'm sure those of you with far greater knowledge of the IC engine than I can help answer this question thats been buzzing around in my dome for the past few days.

Its mainly curiosity really, that and a fondness for tinkering.

Cheers,

Damien.

I know and like I said I'm mainly just curious about the wonders of the IC engine. But if the filter flows marginally better than stock and the exhaust gases escape from my system marginally quicker than stock and I'm not concerned with town driving or a wide spread of power would it not make sense just to find out if I can improve the ignition, marginally.

• 2 years later...

My ignition timing is advanced within my Mine's VX-Rom ECU due to the fact that it's geneally mapped for 100 octane petrol.

I don't know any numbers but it is devinitely doable on the 2jz-ge

Regards, Herbert

we have an old mr2 with the 3sfe engine (120bhp) and by winding the rota round to 20dbtdc it is so much more responsive than when it was at 10deg. its more doable on this engine becuase of the comparitivly low compression ratio for an na. will be ideal for turboing though.