The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Cheap Tyres Worth It?

devan

Do a search on here for Hankook: I genuinely can't remember what the consensus is. In general cheap tyres on a powerful car are a bad idea, but there a small number of budget makes that are actually good, Falken being one of them IMO. It also depends on what style of driver you are: if you push the car to its limits (yes, even an NA!) then you've got less safety margin in case the tyres are crap.

In a word.... NO.

If you have a performance car, its best to use a quality tyre.

If you have a banger that you just use for getting from A to B, I can appreacite why many would like something cheap & cheerful. However you can get cheap and reasonable for this purpose but you need to know what brands are OK and what brands are just plain poor and IMO, dangerous!

We sell Hankooks as budget tyres, never had any customer issues with them and here and there they seem to do OK. However, you will notice a difference in performance between lower end tyres and premium tyres, so you must bear this in mind when driving. Do not expect your car to perform amazingly with regards to tyres if you have budgets fitted.

Personally I'd say you can do better. Go for Falken's, they are pretty damn impressive and still at attractive prices. (IIRC Falken are increasing thier prices across the board by 13% this year but you should be able to get then at the older prices). The likes of Falken are very good performers yet only cost a few pounds literally more than a poor budget.

Due to winter I had to buy a set of 4 winter tyres. Checked the michelins they are almost £220 per tyre for the speed and load rating. Then decided to buy second hand ones. Bought a set of dunlops and a set of michelins for £240 (including postage) with 5mm thread left on them. They are amazing in rain and snow!

The reviews at this site are very helpful in making the decision.

http://www.tyretest.com/index.html

Cheers

sorry to hijack the post but do you have any problems putting the power down using the 452 on a single as i struggle with bpu twins?

you mean in the wet dude??

Iv not had a chance to play about since putting the tyres on, due to snow and ice.

I had eagle f1's on before them and had to problem planting the foot all the way down. :D

As mentioned above...all down to how you drive.

If you drive very conservatively then cheap tyres would be fine....but bearing in mind that sudden stop performance won't be as good as a performance tyre (obviously).

But any tyre sold on the UK market has to meet a minimum standard in the first place.

I know a lot of people do spend well over the odds on tyres and never put all that extra performance to use. But on the other side you do always have that extra safety margin if you got a little excited on a chicane for example. Or if a moron in the middle lane decides to do an emergency stop.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/265-35YR18-Hankook-K104-Sport-Car-Tyres-265-35-18-NEW_W0QQitemZ280447749596QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Cars_Tyres_RL?hash=item414bfd0ddc

Hmm, Just started saving up for a mortgage deposit, and really dont want to spend £300+ on rear tyres, What would your thoughts be on these, its only n/a. :)

:no:

I'm pleasantly suprised by the way this thread has turned out. A lot of constructive and subjective responses to a question that usually get answered with a blancket response of 'no'.

:thumbs:

:smartass:

I've always used either Kuhmo ecstas, or Falken 452s (depending on wheel size) for 5 years now and I'm BPU and they have never let me down in any conditions.

Camskills are one of the cheepest places to get any tyres from and very good service too.

Bob.

It's always worth checking your local suppliers though. Mine is always either cheaper than the internet suppliers or within few quid, and it's less hassle to use them.

Yep, and when you factor in fitting/balancing charges a lot of local suppliers work out cheaper than the internet.