The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Exhaust repairs?

The-Plethora

When I bought the Supra the previous owner was quite upfront and said the exhaust had been patched up to get through the MOT but probably had about 6 months max left in it.

At the weekend along with replacing the coolant hoses I changed the brake pads all round and had the car jacked up so I could see under it properly (sits very low).

I will try and get a pic up at sometime but the back box looks in perfect condition, it's just the pipework (I am being technical now) leading up to it that needs attention, I think it has had several whacks from sitting so low.

Is it feasable to simply cut off the pipework and weld new in place and if so can anyone suggest somewhere / someone who could do this?

The exhaust is a HKS super dragger but I just dont have the money to warrant paying out £500 and then finding a place to fit it especially when most of it appears fine.

All options considered!

My Ibiza Cupra had a crack/hole in the pipework of my aftermarket exhaust just before the backbox, when it was fully loaded and I went over a big speedbump, they can be repaired. I knew a place in Swindon (as I was living there at the time.) Can't remember how much it cost top of my head but it was reasonable. Whereabouts are you mate?

I'm in exactly the same situation... my MOT is due at the end of the month, and I know there are a few holes in the pipework in whats sounds like the exact same location as yours. I had it patched up last year at MOT time too so im not sure now whether to patch it again or bite the bullet and replace it. Why they ever made that section in mild steel is beyond me...

I had my hks super dragger repaired by TopGear in Aylesbury. It was the pipe that leads up to the backbox that had a large hole in it where the hanger joined. I had that section cut out (which also removed one of the resonators) and a stainless section welded in. It has been perfect ever since. I payed £140

Edited by Stonkin (see edit history)

Managed to go out at lunch unfortunately my boot it full of new bits to replace and old bits to store so not too easy to get to the jack so snapped a picture as best I could.

As you can see the pipework seems knackered but the back bit itself seems spotless. I would want the whole section replaced rather than a patch up, hope thats an option.

I presume this is where other peoples are becomming damaged?

There was a thread about exhausts the other day where I asked a question but got overlooked / ignored :D

Is there any huge reason why people seem to recommend only a few types of exhaust?

Longlife put one on my celica I was very happy with and even when I sold it there was hardly a mark on it, full stainless steel and a 10 year guarantee (think it was about £390 fitted).

http://www.longlife.co.uk/

I am all for buying the right bits but a custom exhaust that seems to last better than the recommended makes and fitted for quite a bit cheaper seems tough to ignore.

If you visit the site they have a few vids, one being a supra.

Any huge reason not to get a custom stainless one?

Edited by The-Plethora (see edit history)