The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Can some one tell me why my car won't start? Video inside.

TonyP

Yup, rapid clicking is exactly what they do when battery is too flat to turn car over

I think it's the solenoid you can hear? As you turn the key the solenoid engages, and the starter motor tries to turn the engine but it puts such a drain on the already flat battery that the solenoid releases again. This happens rapidly, thus the clicking.

If it were just a single click and dimming lights I would then say the starter contacts need a refurb.

Thanks guys. Didn't think it was the battery at first as everything else worked, fan, electric aerial, radio etc. (and before you ask yes I did turn them all off before trying to start the car)

Looks like a new battery then.

If it was me I would get the jumpleads on there first to be certain. That carries certain risks though.

Take the battery leads off the supra and ask a neighbour or use your second car (if you have one) to jump CHARGE the now isolated battery for about 5 mins on a fastish idle 1500-2000 rpm this will charge the battery enough to start your car, assuming the battery isn't knackered. It also removes any issues with jump starting.

That carries certain risks though.

Only if done completely wrong. You may as well say there are risks in putting fuel in the car. If you pour it in the window.

If you think your battery is OK because the electrics come on, try the wipers. They are a pathetic sight when the battery is fuche'd :)

-Ian

only if done completely wrong. You may as well say there are risks in putting fuel in the car. If you pour it in the window.

If you think your battery is ok because the electrics come on, try the wipers. They are a pathetic sight when the battery is fuche'd :)

-ian

brb:)

Only if done completely wrong. You may as well say there are risks in putting fuel in the car. If you pour it in the window.

If you think your battery is OK because the electrics come on, try the wipers. They are a pathetic sight when the battery is fuche'd :)

-Ian

I've never had an issue with it. If you have a search you will see frying the ignitor pack is a very real possibility. The only reason I said there are risks is I didn't want to be blamed for anything that happens.

I've never had an issue with it. If you have a search you will see frying the ignitor pack is a very real possibility. The only reason I said there are risks is I didn't want to be blamed for anything that happens.

Yeah but only if you jam both the cables onto the battery instead of the earth onto the chassis/block somewhere, and you do it while the other car is running, in the wrong order etc etc. If you do it properly the target car will see, as far as it's concerned, a normal happy 14v coming from the battery area with no spikes. So no way to fry the igniter.

You'd have to caveat that there are risks with anything if you are going to include "doing it wrong" in the procedure :)

Yeah but only if you jam both the cables onto the battery instead of the earth onto the chassis/block somewhere, and you do it while the other car is running, in the wrong order etc etc. If you do it properly the target car will see, as far as it's concerned, a normal happy 14v coming from the battery area with no spikes. So no way to fry the igniter.

You'd have to caveat that there are risks with anything if you are going to include "doing it wrong" in the procedure :)

Hence wiping my hands of any responsibility ;)

Hence wiping my hands of any responsibility ;)

Well I notice you didn't post the same caveat here:

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showpost.php?p=2633821&postcount=17

Installing a piggyback has far far more inherent risks than jump starting a car :p You might burn yourself with a soldering iron if you hold the wrong end. You might blow the engine up because the fuel map is wrong. The wiring might catch on fire if you wire it up wrong. You see my point? ;)

Not having a go, just at work bored and having some fun :D

Well I notice you didn't post the same caveat here:

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showpost.php?p=2633821&postcount=17

Installing a piggyback has far far more inherent risks than jump starting a car :p You might burn yourself with a soldering iron if you hold the wrong end. You might blow the engine up because the fuel map is wrong. The wiring might catch on fire if you wire it up wrong. You see my point? ;)

Not having a go, just at work bored and having some fun :D

You think so? In the thread you linked to I was sharing opinions that I had read elsewhere. I also previously mentioned paying someone else to do the work, so wasn't instructing him to carry out the upgrade.

You must be REALLY bored to nitpick like that.

You think so? In the thread you linked to I was sharing opinions that I had read elsewhere. I also previously mentioned paying someone else to do the work, so wasn't instructing him to carry out the upgrade.

Nonetheless those risks still exist.

You must be REALLY bored to nitpick like that.

Tadddaaa.

Oh another thing to point out Tony is some batteries are not "maintenance free" so to say and they have these screw plugs on the top which can be opened with a philips screw driver. Normally you would have about 6 of these on the top of the battery. These need to be topped up with water or battery fluid (which is like ionised water).