The mkiv Supra Owners Club

A supra project - N/A or turbo

Guest barlow1984

Guest barlow1984

I am thinking of getting a supra as a project (for something to do and because I've always wanted one!), but I've been looking about for a bit now and can't seem to find many that need much doing to them? Is there anywhere specific I could try looking or is it pure luck getting one?

Also ideally I want a twin turbo manual which I think might be a bit to pricey to start with so maybe I'd be better getting a N/A to start with do it up and trade on?

I'm only 25 so not to sure if there is much difference on insurance, I would assume there is. When it's ready it'll only be a weekend car anyway though.

Any thoughts, advice or guidance would be greatly appreciated! :)

Thanks

Carl

Hello Carl,

I am a owner of a TT Supra and also same age as yourself, my insurance is £950 a year. Quotes can vary & a number of factors effect this, I have 6 years NCB & this year will be my 7 year with the Supra which does help, but my premium does go up slightly due to living in London.

Most of the Supra's on sale in the form are well running machines so to find a project one on here might be harder, though that does not mean they do not sell. Here is a great Supra with only minor work which needs to be done at a extremely good price: http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?t=206384.

Have a good look around the forum & read up on the different model's of Supra to best help chose the one for you. Loads of information on this forum, just make sure you got time on your hands :)

Guest barlow1984

Thanks for those thoughts. I am mostly looking for road use with maybe an odd track day, no more than once or twice a year though.

I only have 4 years NCB and driving for 3 so probably going to cost me an arm and a couple of legs to insure then if I get a TT. :(

I've done the reading into the differences and common problems etc. The idea is to spend about 12 months working on something to get it right (a proper project, not somethng to finish in a week or 2). I only really wanted to spend no more than £1500 - £2k on the initial car then what ever it takes to get it up to scratch. Is that realistic or would that sort of money take me an eternity to get right?

Also this isn't going to happen right away, so thank you for PM's about cars for sale but I'm waiting to move to a house with a garage soon, it'll be something for after then. I want to put plenty of research into it! :)

Thanks again for the help!

Supra's can and do come up a those prices, but not very often and are snapped up quickly (sometimes litterally in minutes). YOu just need to watch for them and be ready to buy.

You really would be looking at NA's only at that budget.

Also be sure to check you insurance before buying - NA's typically cost more to insure than TT's, crazy but true.