The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Heel-and-toe

Project Blitz

Isn't that double clutching...?!

Because I used to do that when driving in the semi-pro rally in dubai and egypt...

Nope, that is the standard heel&toe method.

I tend to use heel and toe for everyday driving...I know on the road its not going to find me any extra 10ths of a second but purely for the other reason of heel & toe in that down changes are much smoother.

And I find it safer in the wet by removing the worry that the rears will not lock up if there is too much 'take up' on the drive train on downchange.

On the track it really does give a more balanced car when braking. The weight transfer of the car stays smoothly at the front and doesn't 'jerk' around if the drivetrain were to suddenly 'search' for the revs needed for the lower gear if not heel and toe'ing.

Edited by AJI (see edit history)

I tend to use heel and toe for everyday driving...I know on the road its not going to find me any extra 10ths of a second but purely for the other reason of heel & toe in that down changes are much smoother.

And I find it safer in the wet by removing the worry that the rears will not lock up if there is too much 'take up' on the drive train on downchange.

:yeahthat: Not saying i'm any good at it :D Do find it a lot smoother like AJI says, problem i have is the footwear!

I use to heel and toe alot during my suped up Mini and 205 GTI days. Useful for simultaneous downshifting and braking like when you've gone into a corner too hot or want to shift weight for extra grip upfront. Also great for locking up the back on FWD for initiating a drift if you're too busy to tug the handbrake.

And I find it safer in the wet by removing the worry that the rears will not lock up if there is too much 'take up' on the drive train on down change.

Me too. Got these peddles fitted to make it easier thanks to Jezz.

It makes a huge difference to the traction of the back end on down shifts, so much so the BMW M5 automatically matches engine rpm to the rpm of the clutch, so you can drop 3 or 4 gears in an instant without the risk of unbalancing the car.

Edited by Terminator (see edit history)

I also got me some aftermarked (actually toyotas own alu pedals from Whifbitz, they have a more OEMish look) and placed the speedo pedal a bit to the left side, to make the space between brake and speed smaller. This helps A LOT towards doing the heel-and-toe (well actually more left-n-right-side-of-foot) more fluidly without too much of a risk of slipping