Geo

Loud= 4" HKS ti

Quiet= 3" whifbitz twin box

Gona have to be be 3'' dude, think the Gf would boot my nads if its any louder

What are you after, quiet or loud?

I think i fancy a quiet one, although, Paul measured mine at 104db

nur spec

i'll go gooling dude cheers

The only thing with the NUR is that they have a habit of droning, on some cars. Not so sure with the single but choose with care.

I'm getting old now so prefer something a little quieter, chosing now I'd likely go with one of the Whifbitz or something like the RX or Tannabe touring

Nur Spec R for me everytime and that was what was on mine, never droned either. The other exhaust I had on my JZA70 that sounded as good / better (1JZ sounds great with a decent exhaust) and which had similar looks and build quality was the Kakimoto.

You do tend to get what you pay for with exhausts - the Nur Spec R has incredible build quality with the neatest welds I've ever seen and full stainless construction. There was a phase of people going for RSR's claiming they were as good (they were just cheaper) and as time has gone on many of those have rotted because of their non full stainless construction. Others have gone for custom exhausts - I've had a look at those and usually the build quality / welds are pretty shoddy with mild steel material having been used for the welds also, not much use in the exhaust being stainless if the welds ain't!

I investigated the quieter exhausts but pretty much all of them achieved less noise by adding more restriction. I found it comical that the quiet version of the R (the similar looking RX) was just the same exhaust with a hugely reduced exit from the rear can, visible inside the usual massive slash cut tailpipe. Might as well have the R with the bung in...

The problem with such restriction in exhausts, especially when running a big single, is the direct impact they will have on EGT's. No such thing as a free lunch as they say!

Cheers,

Brian.

Nur Spec R is like £500 :blink: holy hell. Need to do some shopping about i reckon, im swaying towards a quiet one, but IanW just informed me the Nur Spec R one sounds amazing.

decisions decisions

I have the Nur spec R and i think it's great, Even on long journeys, Like you have quoted though they are not cheap but a nice bit of quality :)

Slight hijack but what do these exhausts have over a custom made one from longlife?

http://www.longlife.co.uk/

These are full stainless steel and seem well made, I had one on my Celica and liked it, is it just down to HKS name flashing or is there something more to it?

My exhaust (HKS dragger) probably has a few months left in it.

Thought I'd throw the HKS SuperDragger into the mix, its mild steel exhaust with a 28inch circumference stainless back box, seem popular amongst people who want a quiet exhaust with a nice growl when on boost.

How much does the Dragger come in at?

I find it hard to justify buying one of them if the price is on a par with a full stainless system.

probably too late but, I'd go for a whifbitz one, I have one of the early 3.5" single box exhausts on my single, its loud, and I love it (but I also had a bung made for it to keep the locals happy ;)) - full stainless and the build quality is first class - also cheaper then a Nur. I'd never have a dragger again as there mild steel and mine just rotted off (just ask homer about the erm... quality of it ;))

The problem with such restriction in exhausts, especially when running a big single, is the direct impact they will have on EGT's. No such thing as a free lunch as they say!

so is the Nur Spec R not the free lunch?

Also read that one of the Tanabe's is very quiet.

Mine is an Apexi Evo N1 - perfectly quiet on a stock / BPU car, turned into a monster once i went single (at WOT anyway) :D

Ive had a Nur Spec R (S14) and a Tanabe Super Racing Medallion (Supra TT). Both are amazing exhausts, but I have to say that the Tanabe has the edge on the Blitz in terms of build quality and agressive noise.

Both are great, but the Tanabe SRM is my favourite exhaust. Looks a bit different too :)

Thought I'd throw the HKS SuperDragger into the mix, its mild steel exhaust with a 28inch circumference stainless back box, seem popular amongst people who want a quiet exhaust with a nice growl when on boost.

x2

I have the Super Dragger on mine ... very nice sound at low and medium revs. Police, MOT guys and my neigbourgh's like it :)

Just to add a different one in the mix, I got an RSR on mine and it's as low sounding as the Nur and as loud, but sits up under the car better than the Nur.

I know thay are not made now, but think I remember that Envy (remember them) had a copy made by 5zigen.

Not sure if it's available anywhere, but if I wanted another exhaust that's where I would start looking.

Cheers

G