The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Turbo kicking in problems

M4RK RZ

Got a problem with the second turbo kicking in, it seems to be doing it sometimes and not others. Ive just got the car about 1 month ago and had a look round properlyl ast to find that one of the black metal black pipes that runs over the top of the outlet side( in a group of four welded together ) has been sheared by the strut brace they fitted. There was a peice of repair pipe fitted to it but it was a bodge job could it be that? looks like it controls a diaphram (small black round inclosed box) also on the turbo side of things. But then again it kicks in sometimes and other times I can rev straight through 2 or 3 or 4th without the second one kicking in at all

It also seems to idle a little lumpy at times:conf:

any help would be great cheers

Guest Terry S

Maybe a VSV fault. Not sure how far you are from Chris Wilson, or Pete Betts. It's not a major problem more a PITA.

Guest Terry S

very basically it is a solenoid valve.

Do a search, pretty sure it will have been covered in depth on here before.

Good luck

Chris

Funny you should mention speedo conversions in connection with this. If I recall correctly some 4 years ago when I got my Supra, the conversion had been done so that the divided signal was being fed to everything , speedo, odo, cruise, ECU, P Steering , Air con etc and I occasionally had this problem, but ignored it.

I changed this 2 years ago so that the divided signal only feeds the speedo and cruise (ODO reads miles fine from the undivided signal if modified to show miles or UK ODO used) with everything else receiving the undivided signal so that it responds as it was designed to do and I've had no recurrence.

Maybe just coincidence, but would feeding a divided signal to the ECU cause this problem i.e cause the ECU occasional confusion?

Mark Brown

Now that I've read this, it's worth mentioning that I think my car's been doing this too. Sometimes you feel the first turbo come on, you prepare for the second one, and nothing. It feels 'flat' and 'dead' ... sometimes when I lift of the throttle and try again, but apply the accelerator smoothly (rather than burying it into the footwell :p ), the second turbo will come on, and off we go :thumbs:

I have attached a piccy of my speedo convertor (if it helps). I'm on the Dyno's at Abbey on Tuesday next week, so maybe that will show something ... unless I am imagining it! :conf:

Cheers, J :cool:

spd_conv.jpg

I'd change it to one of Pete Betts (TRL Performance) ones, and fit it STRICTLY in accordance with the details on his web site. For the price it's worth removing this possible cause of your problem. I personally haven't had a car with a TRL unit correctly wired up give this lazy second turbo fault, but I have only recently become aware of this seemingly odd potential cause of it (thanks Bill...) :)