The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Indicators, lights, wipers stalks / switches

spartan

I think I'm right in saying that, on all JDM and UK models, the wiper switches are on the left-hand steering column stalk and the lights/indicators are on the right. The exception to this appears to be the USDM models where the reverse is true (I stand to be corrected on this).

On 'modern' cars (the youngest Supras will be celebrating their 8th birthday this year!), in the UK (Europe?), it's my experience that manufacturers have standardised on the US layout - lights (indicators and headlight flasher/main beam switch at least) on the left with wipers on the right - no doubt to save costs as much as for the sake of standardisation.

Now, this isn't particularly important to me but for the wife it makes the difference between her calling it "That car!"' (in 'that' voice :rolleyes:) rather than "Our beloved Supra" or something similar that I would infinitely prefer.

I'm contemplating getting the parts from the US and attempting to swap them over. The switches look exactly the same in terms of function but the plugs/wiring is probably (bound to be?) different ...

Anyone have any experience of doing the swap?

Edited by spartan
Greengrocers' apostrophes (see edit history)

Not heard of anyone swapping them myself, but you are correct - wipers on left, lighting on the right. I hadn't had it on any previous cars, but you get used to it! One drive I think! I can step into any car now which is different and then back into the Supra and I just use the 'right' stalk subconciously now. Either way, tell the missus to get a grip!! Literally! Or invest in those super ear plugs you've always wanted - I've also got some RAF flight-line ear defenders you can have if you like, they're pretty useful!:D

Edited by deathmonkey (see edit history)

Couldn't you just get EU parts?

But if you do, please please please document you progress and maybe do a write up. I would love to switch mine as I after 3+ years of ownership STILL have a tendency to hose the windshield when I need to flash someone...

Stalks are so much harder to get used to than driving RHD..

I can step into any car now which is different and then back into the Supra and I just use the 'right' stalk subconciously now.

How I envy you....

Edited by bodilx6 (see edit history)

Or invest in those super ear plugs you've always wanted - I've also got some RAF flight-line ear defenders you can have if you like, they're pretty useful!:D

I might have to take you up on that offer anyway - thanks! :D

Couldn't you just get EU parts?

That's interesting - are you saying that Euro. spec supras have the US layout too?

It's actually quite difficult to find decent pictures to verify ...

Here's a pretty good picture of the US (note the MPH speedo) stalks:

http://www.94supra.com/mods/gauges_03.jpg

Still looking for a Euro-spec ... found one:

http://srazy.ic.cz/ptynec/img00088.jpg

So you were right - Euro spec. models have the same layout as US. To be honest though, it's probably still simpler to get the parts (second-hand) from the US ...

Edited by spartan (see edit history)

If buying new, the required part numbers appear to be:

• 84112‑80152 "SWITCH ASSY, LIGHT CONTROL, NO.1"
  • 84652‑14620 "SWITCH ASSY, WINDSHIELD WIPER" (1993-97) or
  • 84652‑14641 "SWITCH ASSY, WINDSHIELD WIPER" (1998)

Not sure what changed in '98 but there was also a change in part number if you want the whole steering column switch assembly (includes both of the above plus tilt lever, clock-spring, etc.):

• 84310‑1B120 "SWITCH ASSY, TURN SIGNAL" (1993-97) or
  • 84310‑1B220 "SWITCH ASSY, TURN SIGNAL" (1998)

Prices appear quite reasonable