The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Temp guage in rad hard pipe

jackso11

I have a hard pipe to replace the upper rad pipe which has a temp sensor hole in it. Just wondered why I would want to put a temp guage in there? isnt the temp guage on the dash already telling me exactly what the reading would be from a second temp guage?

Also, I am guessing it is a standard size hole for the sensor, would anybody know where I can get a 'bung' to block it off? An aluminium bolt I guess, or stainless?

The stock temp gauge is very slow to react, this is done on purpose, the gauge only ever moves above normal once there is a real problem

I had a Defi water temp gauge and it moved all the time giving very accurate temp reading, these were of course higher in traffic and hard driving, this gauge also had an alarm to warn of high temps, this saved me when the thermostat failed, the stock gauge never moved until the last possible second, it then went from normal to max in one sweep !

It therefore gives greater piece of mind and a better understanding of whats happening

There is a downside to gauges of this quality however, you tend to watch them all the time and worry about every movement, or was that just me !!

I will get a pic up when I can get to the car, its at my girlfriends house and due to weather we havent been there for a week! Should be able to get there tonight so will get it then

Cool...where in london are you i might be able to help as i work there too and in a garage:)

The Greddy hard pipe sensor mount is a 1/8 NPT, and normally comes with a suitable grub-screw type bung (I've got several kicking around if you want one).

The problem with the dashboard temp gauge is that it reads in the middle from 50°C to well over 115°C. If you only use the car on the road, then the chances are that's fine, but during a good thrashing round the 'ring you probably want to know that your coolant is doing the exact opposite of it's namesake!

• 2 weeks later...