The mkiv Supra Owners Club

HKS twin plate clutch and flywheel

jihwaan

I have a HKS twin plate and I am getting sick of it fast. It has the lightened HKS flywheel on it also- I am wondering if I can just get another clutch or do I need to replace the flywheel as well?

I bought the car with this setup and its an absolute pig to drive and its noisy as hell..

Kinda hoping I dont have to buy a clutch and a flywheel...

Anyone know this one?

on another note does the HKS clutch setup use a standard release bearing etc- reason I ask is is it possible to just replace the realease bearing etc and maybe fix the damn noise this thing makes?

Edited by jihwaan (see edit history)

99% of HKS twin or triple plates are dire to use. If you NEED a multi plate clutch the Gilen ones are nice to operate and have superb spares back up (try getting spares for HKS clutches...). All twin plates rattle, and none damped flywheels cause the gear train to rattle, too. You should look into whether a stock clutch and flywheel, or muy uprated stock set up would hold the torque, and bin the HKS stuff.

If the clutch and flywheel in yours is in good condition, you could probably sell it secondhand to one of the big power boys on here. You would then be able to probably buy a new genuine toyota flywheel and clutch kit. If that's the total spec of your car in your sig, you certainly don't need a twin plate in there.

thanks guys..

The car is basically stock save for the few bits in my sig and the clutch.. It has hks intake pipes and some other bits but nothing power wise - its not even BPU but the turbo's are shot (well I figure they are there is oil in the cooler pipes pretty bad- its not smoking though) and I am looking at a single kit for it- just waiting on the results of a leakdown test on monday to check if the motor is in good enough condition to hold the power from a mild single and will go down that road..

As chris said though this clutch is 'dire' to use (I would have said utter sh*t myself)...

It seems to work perfectly though and its more the sound of the thing that gives me the sh*ts and as such I was hoping it just may need a new release bearing or similiar... hence my asking if the HKS use the factory release bearing etc as HKS parts are a PIA to get

Guess I will save my penny's for a nw clutch...