The mkiv Supra Owners Club

12v fuel pump mod on a big single.

hodge

I've been reading into this 12v fuel pump mod.

Is this totally nessessary for the fueling for a big single with a standalone ECU. I would have thought Ryan would just sort the right fuel at the right time.

All opinions are welcome please guys n girls.

Thanks

John

I've been reading into this 12v fuel pump mod.

Is this totally nessessary for the fueling for a big single with a standalone ECU. I would have thought Ryan would just sort the right fuel at the right time.

All opinions are welcome please guys n girls.

Thanks

John

Do NOT do the 12v mod. It isnt worth it. Use a 12V relay made by bosch.

The 12V mod will burn out your pump (s) faster and there is no gain.

Safety: It is not safe to do the 12V mod.

I will get the drawing posted up. Is yours in tank or out of tank? You actually utilize some of the stock fuel pump wiring. You might be able to see in the pic I posted where you tap into it for the signal then run your power to the relays. Then from the relay to the pump

Do NOT do the 12v mod. It isnt worth it. Use a 12V relay made by bosch.

The 12V mod will burn out your pump (s) faster and there is no gain.

Safety: It is not safe to do the 12V mod.

It is only not safe if you have a constant 12v feed to the pump on ignition. If it is done correctly there is no problem, and walboro pumps are designed to run at 12v. As said do NOT just join the 2 large wires together though.

Which standalone are you using?

My understanding is that if you are running a standalone ECU it wont be switching the pump up and down anyway. The standalone unit would have to include a strategy to be able to do it and then be configured.

As already mentioned the 12V mod has for a long time been considered dangerous as it bypasses the intelligence in the system and just sends a constant 12V with ignition on, its handy for testing pump issues but thats all :(